Class D amp needs big power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway here is the Blackstar ID:260TVP

ID:260TVP Guitar Amplifier - Blackstar Amplification

It has two 12 inch speakers. Each of the class d amps is "60W"

...So what power level of SMPS would Blackstar likely have used to power the class d amplifiers in this combo amplifier?

Bearing in mind that Blackstar is a commercial company, and though their amplifiers are of the highest quality found anywhere in the world, they want to save money, because cheap Far Eastern imports are on the way.....

Use the table above and stop being lazy. Use the search facility and read about the hundreds of class D projects here

Better yet write to Blackstar, tell them you are trying to rip off one of their products instead of buying one, and could they please tell you about the power supply......:rolleyes:

Also all blackstar top of the range stuff is valve, not class d, so its built to a budget.. And the id260 is mid range AT BEST looking at the cost alone. There is no way they design and build there own amps - they buy modules and power supplies, probably from the Far East. It would make no financial sense to do otherwise. Check out ebay and find millions from China etc etc.

You are quite late to the 'D' party, its been rocking for years. Stop insisting on us giving you an answer when you wont accept the answer you've been given. If that is an impasse for you then your done here.

Thanks, though i havent really been given an answer.........DonPetru's kind answer was about transformer rectifier/capacitor power supplies.....not an smps.

Blackstar design their own amplifiers.....look on their website......the technical director at blackstar is a guy called Bruce Kier......he used to be engineering boss at Marshall.....Jim Marshall, (May he rest in beautiful peace) is down in writing as saying that Bruce Kier was the best engineer that Marshall Amplification ever had.

Believe me , Blackstar design the best in the world...

look at the third answer up from the bottom.....
Jim Marshall Interview

Can you not answer my question about the ID:260TVP?

BUY A BLACKSTAR AMP AND TAKE IT APART!!!

They don't publish power supply information. I doubt anyone on here works there and if they did they wouldn't share that information. And the rest of us have no means of knowing that information anyway. Which leaves you with one option.

Thanks, though i havent really been given an answer

Whats on the second shelf of my cousins best friends, brothers fridge? I demand an answer! Why don't you answer? wah wah wah :rolleyes:

Believe me , Blackstar design the best in the world...

And thats why you are intent of ripping them off - and trying to get us to help you along the way?

You have started 98 threads all about smps, class d, guitar amps and Blackstar. You have mentioned Blackstar in no less than 24 different threads, 14 of which you started - ALL asking for design specifics

As you have been directed by moderators to ask Blackstar directly before, please state clearly what your intentions are......

I cannot buy the ID:260TVP as it is not yet in the shops.

Even then, it costs £300 and i cant afford that.

i know that it is difficult to put a number on the required power supply for this usage of class d.......................But ti.com have done just that....they appear to agree with me as they say that the amplifier must be rated to supply twice the rms power of the class d amplifier.....

http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slou293b/slou293b.pdf

ti.com confesses that the power supply can only deliver 600W (the power of the class d amp) for 5 minutes...........and can only supply 1000W for 20ms......

they confess that the power supply can supply only 250W continuously.

They have put temperature sensors in it.

So as you see, there is definite answers out there.

But for a guitar class d amplifier.......one wonders if one couldnt simply use a 100W smps and a relatively big capacitor bank......i mean, when your on stage, your speaker cabinets are very big.......the amplifier and power supply sits atop the speaker cab..............so why make the power supply etc small when its sitting on top of a filthy great big speaker cab.....hence my yearning for a relatively big capacitor bank.

By the way, the Fender Mustang IV is a 150W class d amplifier for guitar and its smps is nothing more than a single switch flyback.....(not even a pfc stage).........dont believe me...just take a look inside.......single switch flyback!!

Last edited:
do we have a shill in our midst? highest quality available anywhere? haha the website propaganda is full of hype and holes with no information. I think you know little of the amps, guitar amp quality, or guitar in general, with the amount of time wasted here on this goal you could have bought one.

Blackstar rulez, you all iz fulez

forget Dumble..Dumble who?

Last edited:
7 pages for anything new.
the power, it makes sense in relation to time. a company decides to apply the factor, this depends on the type of use, cost, etc. ..
we can have repetitive peaks for 5 sec, or for 30 sec, or until the thermal balance. in these three cases, the dimensioning power of smps, is very different. (power of amp, not change)

Last edited:
Give up AP2. Nothing new here

You're up against someone with a light grasp of electronics, no idea about amplifiers in the real world, power supplies in the real world or speakers in the real world, wont take our word for it that the 200% idea is stupid overkill, wont buy the merchandise that he keeps honking on about but still wants our help to make a copy of it :rolleyes:

Give up AP2. Nothing new here

You're up against someone with a light grasp of electronics, no idea about amplifiers in the real world, power supplies in the real world or speakers in the real world, wont take our word for it that the 200% idea is stupid overkill, wont buy the merchandise that he keeps honking on about but still wants our help to make a copy of it :rolleyes:

ahahah.. is true, I would like to give my contribution, maybe something I can start to give, the problem is that they are tied to a company.
copy is inherent in man, sometimes copied in ten do not realize that there is a defect in side...for years :D

JRKO
200% idea is stupid overkill

OK before you all bail out, what percentage do you suggest?.....and any answers for supplying the ID:260TVP?

I know that the subject of this post is a highly held industrial secret for many amplifier companies.....and many will not like this info to be bandied about.........but i hope that this forum may see the freedom of speech............and pour shame on industrial secrecy.

OK before you all bail out, what percentage do you suggest?.....and any answers for supplying the ID:260TVP?

You don't give up do you? Go and read some threads and figure it out for yourself OR stop being a tight ar£e and buy one

I know that the subject of this post is a highly held industrial secret for many amplifier companies.....and many will not like this info to be bandied about.........but i hope that this forum may see the freedom of speech............and pour shame on industrial secrecy.

Its not an Industrial secret, you have been told several times, you've just not been given a number. You need to spec it and work it out for yourself based on the raft of info you have been given

Freedom of speech? Are you being a deliberate wally? As you appear to be completely ignorant of ethics and copytight along with 'how to the receive advice you ask for with good grace', you also don't seem to read the news so.....

......pop quiz, how much does Samsung have to pay Apple for copyright infringement? Apple awarded ???? in damages from Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.