Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2012, 04:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Yuanjing Tripath TA2020 MKIII chip explode :(

Hi all

I really hope some of you can explain to me if my brand spanking new Yaunjing Tripath TA2020 MKIII was faulty on arrival of I have made myself look stupid

I received my package with the amp yesterday and immediately proceeded to hooking it up.
Found a 12v 1000mA adaptor survivor from an old charging station for my car, and hooked it up to the amp - all was well so far, powered on and the power LED was pretty and red

Removed the power plug and proceeded to hook up my speakers (Alpair 7 Gen 2) to the amp, phono to my phone and powered the amp up again....
This did on the other hand not go as planned, snap crackle and pop, the TA2020 chip exploded and my new amp was toast....

This brings me back to my original question, faulty amp or me stupid??

From what I have been told, the only thing which I could have gone wrong is not using the correct adaptor plug. The package with my amp did not include any diagrams or anything telling me where +/- should be on the 12v plug. On my adaptor the + is on the inside, but should it be like that to power up my amp??

I really hope some of the diy folk in here can help me, as I have next to no knowledge about how to figure out what has gone wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 24th August 2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Banned

This ic is a piece of crap, blows up randomly for no appearant reason.

They have become notorious for quit working all of a sudden, especially in these cheaper amps, like the lepai lp2020.
Old 24th August 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthorsoe View Post
Found a 12v 1000mA adaptor survivor from an old charging station for my car, and hooked it up to the amp - all was well so far, powered on and the power LED was pretty and red
The keyword here are "old" and "car". It's probably not a stabilized supply. Not a problem for the TA2020 under no load. Under load however, you get the result you have now.

You must use a stabilized power supply of 12V to 14.5V. 3A minimum.
Old 24th August 2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nonsense !... Chip is Fine but it IS an IC chip and just like the Processor in your Computer is easily damaged by inept handling and or installs. Not to mention poorly installed ancillary circuit components.
Centre of the power pin is typically + , outside is - If anything a 12v 1 amp PS is underpowered , 12v 5amp is the preferred one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5A-LCD-R...16%26rk%3D1%26

Make sure the PS itself is not messed though !

New Ta 2020 chips are $5 'delivered' on ebay.

What exactly blew up?? Open it up and look for the burnt/damaged bit and ultimately Replace it/them?

Last edited by Bare; 24th August 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 24th August 2012, 04:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have the same problem. what is + and what is -
Old 24th August 2012, 05:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennCliff View Post
I have the same problem. what is + and what is -
Since this is a blatant bastardized copy of arjen helder's design and I loathe companies that sell copy-ware, I will only give the advice that there is no minus (there is only + and GND), and + is usually on the inside. But as noted above, it's a copy of an original design so it could be reversed. You'll have to check for yourself.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

@Bare: The TA2020 chip itself blew up, so no more sweet sound will ever come out of it ;-)
@Saturnus: I absolutely agree with you, I have been ripped off by a copy cat - and will do whatever I can to return the amp and get my money back, but probably not the easiest task

So if I kill my piggy-bank, where could I get a hold of the original Arjen amp?
Should have gone that way from the start, but you live you learn

Anyways, greatly appreciate your replies - super fast and super to the point!
Old 24th August 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am running one of those as we speak, in a similar "temp" setup - hooked to a non-recommendable variable 500mA wallwart adapter. Luckily I did a check on the adapters' output voltage before connecting it to the amp, and as it turned out, @12V setting it supplied well over 16V with no load, which was well over the top, so I dialled the selector back to "9V", which is in the upper 13V range -no load, and less while playing (doing low volume listening only, atm).

My next to no knowledge guess is that it was overvoltage that caused this?. In any case both would do ourselves a favor with heeding the advice of going with stabilized PS with appropriate voltage/current. Mine is going battery power soon, so hopefully it will sustain some more of this walking on the edge treatment

Center pin is + in my case, also. Hope that helps!
Old 24th August 2012, 07:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthorsoe View Post
So if I kill my piggy-bank, where could I get a hold of the original Arjen amp?
Should have gone that way from the start, but you live you learn

Anyways, greatly appreciate your replies - super fast and super to the point!
New MKIII Tripath TA2020 PCB 25watt Class-T amplifier | eBay

Please note that he offers a matching power supply for 14 extra. Read the text carefully.
Old 24th August 2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Trileru is offline Trileru  Romania
diyAudio Member

I don't know how much of a copy is, but I do know that with tone bypass they are almost identical to the chip datasheet spec. I checked my Muse ta2020 and apart from the pot and protection relay it is identical to the one presented in the Tripath ta2020 datasheet.

Hide this!Advertise here!