How much power can a T130-2 core handle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone give me a clue on how much power a T130-2 core can handle?

I'm still a noob with this inductance/inductor stuff, so please forgive me if the question is worded incorrectly.

I'm interested in replacing some 10uH and 20uH inductors with gapped ferrite toroids. The data for the size and permeability of the new cores gives me max current ratings of 12.25A (10uH) and 17.32A (20uH). That's assuming I got the math correct (big assumption there).

I just need to know if the gapped cores have substantially less power handling or not compared to the T130-2.

Thanks

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Can anyone give me a clue on how much power a T130-2 core can handle?

This app note has a bit of info in it about core size and power dissipation: http://www.micrometals.com/appnotes/appnotedownloads/ipcs4rfp.pdf

I just need to know if the gapped cores have substantially less power handling or not compared to the T130-2.

Powdered iron cores technically have an air gap that is distributed evenly throughout the entire core. So try not to think of power handling as a function of the size of the air gap.

Hi Brian, nice to see you're still lurking in the shadows. :magnify:

Some of the math and general comprehension required here is beyond me. I'm just going to do what I always do and run with what little I understand and hope for the best. :p

I'm pretty sure the Ferroxcube cores I'm interested in are more than sufficient for my needs anyway.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
When life permits I make my way back here once in a while ;)

Are the ferroxcube cores the same ones used on other fairly high output power class d amps? If so, you should probably be fine.

When in doubt, look at what other amps with similar power ranges are using and use that as a baseline.

Are the ferroxcube cores the same ones used on other fairly high output power class d amps? If so, you should probably be fine.

I was tempted to just assume that at first, but they do custom parts so I started thinking maybe some of these OEMs had parts made with lower permeability than the standard gapped cores.

Stacking cores is always an option to if space permits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.