TI TPA3100D2, Amazing Class D Amp - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2012, 06:21 PM   #41
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Yes.
Is there a volume control?
Old 30th August 2012, 11:50 PM   #42
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

For those looking these up, I found some other ones on the TI site that might be interesting:

TAS5721 stereo 2.1 15 watts new
TAS5731 stereo 2.1 20 watts
TAS5711 stereo 2.1 20 watts
TPA3116D2 stereo 50 watts new
TPA3118D2 stereo 30 watts new
Old 31st August 2012, 06:08 AM   #43
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi
In my effort to improve the sound, I put another 12 V SLA battery in series to get 24.5 V.
Minor improvement in bass and treble.
SQ is still not as good as my modded Trend audi with tripath 2024 chip.
This is a faint white noise coming through speaker with no music playing. The similar set up is dead quiet in Trend audio.

I then tried a old laptop linear power supply outputting 20.3 V. with 3.25 amp capability.
This improvement the sound is immediately obvious with more extended bass and high.
It is still not as quiet and holographic when compared to Trend.
Running in more at this very moment.
Will report back letter.
Will mod this board after getting familiar with he sound.
cheers

kp93300
Old 31st August 2012, 06:17 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

@kp93300 - while running at 24.5 V. or 20.3 V., any signs of the IC heating up excessively?
Old 31st August 2012, 08:41 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

hi keith,
there is no signs of the chip heating up.
there is hardly any increase in temp after powering continuously for the last 3 hours
thanks

kp93300
Old 1st September 2012, 12:55 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Hi Wushuliu,
Do you have any faint white noise emitting from the speakers issue when there is no music playing ? I can hear a faint white noise with my ears within 6 in from the speaker coil.

How do you ground your evaluation board ?
The application note says to tie the J8 speaker ground to the power supply ground and this is taken to ground. Do you implement this ?
My entire upper stream equipments are not tied to power ground at all.

thanks for the clarification

kp93300
Old 1st September 2012, 04:22 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is only audible on the 36db gain setting when the dcb1 buffer is off. When the buffer is on, it is gone. The board is grounded to dcb1. If I bypass the buffer and connect direct to the amp there is no noise at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi Wushuliu,
Do you have any faint white noise emitting from the speakers issue when there is no music playing ? I can hear a faint white noise with my ears within 6 in from the speaker coil.

How do you ground your evaluation board ?
The application note says to tie the J8 speaker ground to the power supply ground and this is taken to ground. Do you implement this ?
My entire upper stream equipments are not tied to power ground at all.

thanks for the clarification

kp93300
Old 1st September 2012, 05:31 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Thanks
I want to mark a clarification that J8 in the evaluation board is not the speaker ground.There is a an error in my post 46.
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:36 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

HI
This is a follow up.
I installed a 470uf cap on the undersurface of the board in parallel with the 220 Uf caps for the evaluation board..
I bypass the 470 uf with a 101 ceramic caps salvaged from another amp.
The improvement is obvious .Improvement is across the spectrum with better high, mid and bass.
Sound stage gain depth and width and dynamic is very impressive. Silence between notes is better and reverberation of drums sound from the recording is more distinct.
The perception of space around the performers is impressive.
I listen through the entire album IL Divo The promise. The crescendo when the music build up is the best i have . Sound stage and instrument placement is maintained with loud dynamic passage and is life like.
Bass is well resolved and bettered Trend audio amp now.
This board is clearly more dynamic than Trend audio. The sound stage depth and width is also better.
My modded trend audio works wonders with SLA battery and i prefer the forward vocal that i think may not be accurate .
I am very impressed with the evaluation board and would like to thank Wushuliu for highlighting it here.
I have not changed the 1uf input caps on the board. I am looking for a low dc leakage small cap as specified in the manual for the chip.

I think i will take a break from building class A amp for a while.

I hope someone here will design a board that is more diy friendly.

cheers
kp93300
Old 3rd September 2012, 04:50 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

As someone who is interested in eventually being less reliant on "the grid", I'm actually thrilled to hear that these 90% efficient circuits are getting to the point of sounding excellent. My experience with 100mHZ digital video processing circuit and board design tells me that with a circuit like this where you have these very fast edges on many of the waveforms, the board itself is very much a reactive component, and any changes relative to the evaluation board will have to be looked at very closely. Excessive ringing anywhere would be bad. It may be as simple as that. Grounding will need to be about perfect. But I'm excited. I think we are finally to the point where switch mode power amps are as good as anything else out there. My "yammy mammy" (Yamaha) receiver is all switch mode and sounds pretty good to my ear. Thanks for the info. I can't believe those chips are as cheap as they are. I wonder if there's a way to buy small quantities (?)

Hide this!Advertise here!