TI TPA3100D2, Amazing Class D Amp - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2013, 07:22 PM   #261
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
Hi, the custom charger looks interesting. I picked up a 16v LI battery in the Sears bargain bin over the weekend. I charged it up with an adjustable V/A power supply. I'm not sure what the charging votage should be? I used 16v
Thanks
Probably not a good idea to charge lithium-ion battery that way. There is a serious risk of fire if not charged properly.
Old 5th November 2013, 07:56 PM   #262
diyAudio Member

Default TPA3122 Class D 1939 Radio

My non-audiophile friend asked me to convert his non-working Zenith radio into a modern iPhone music maker without spending much money on the project. (read no restoration or restoration parts) I replaced the tube amp with a TPA3122D2 board powered by a 24V 5A external supply. A new speaker baffle board was crafted and two 8" Wild Burro Betsy drivers were installed. I installed a mini plug connector on the back of the amp that connects to an iPhone or iPod perched on top of the radio. The sound is great!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th November 2013, 08:55 PM   #263
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Cervelorider,
Very nice work on the Zenith! Amazing how the little Jerry's amp board replaces that huge tube setup. Probably more power than the tube ever made. The vertical arrangement of the two drivers is great for a pseudo mono effect which is great for a radio or iPod dock. The round columns on the front originally were decorative but they may act as HF dispersion elements to reduce beaming.
Old 5th November 2013, 11:21 PM   #264
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
Probably not a good idea to charge lithium-ion battery that way. There is a serious risk of fire if not charged properly.
The battery comes half charged. The power supply I charged it with is a rather fancy industrial unit with 10 turn pots for both volts and amps.
The battery has some sort of internal protection against over charging, discharging and temperature.
I charged the battery @ 16v .8amps and it is now connected to my favourite tda7297 and seems to be working fine.
Old 6th November 2013, 06:41 AM   #265
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Lithium ion/Lithium polymer cells that don't have built-in charger circuits are like hand grenades when connected to normal power supplies. If the charging curve differs more than 1 % you already have a risk. The charger is specifically for the cells in other words they are a couple. Charging the cells with a power supply really is very dangerous. These are not like NiMh or sealed lead batteries.

Temp must be monitored, voltage and current must be within 1 % of the specified range. Otherwise: boom ! There are specific ICs for charging LiPo and Li ion cells that do all these function so the cells are charged safely and the cells can be charged 1000 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixIOEPnsgbI

Please check the battery type and how is must be charged exactly. The built in protection circuit (as written on the sleeve) sometimes is not there with cheap batteries.

Last edited by jean-paul; 6th November 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:22 PM   #266
goo is offline goo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default TPA3110 Golden Ratio Boombox

I just made a little Golden Ratio bipolar boombox with the Sure 3110 board, and i am very pleased with the result. Its using 6w 8ohm speakers and a 4 ah 12v battery.

I sealed and stuffed the box with acoustic dampening wool, and is very surprised how good and loud it plays. The 360 degree sound effect is really nice, just put it on the table and the sound is all-around the living room

I wonder how many hours i get before charging? I think i should get around 80 hours playtime, will see... time will tell.

Here is some pics

TPA3110 Golden Ratio Boombox | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by goo; 22nd November 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 22nd November 2013, 06:42 PM   #267
diyAudio Member

Default Nice going Cervelorider

Hey D,

Nice going on that radio project. Wow, that's a beauty!

Mark
Old 22nd December 2013, 10:00 AM   #268
rhing is offline rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll post here, since I don't want to contaminate the TPA3116D2 thread on this Class D forum. I received my Sure Electronics TPA3110D2 amp board from Parts Express. I started with the basic, "can't wait to set it up" setup with the amp and connected it to my ARC LS7 tube line stage preamp and Klipsch Forte II speakers.

2013-12-20 15.47.33.jpg
2013-12-20 15.47.50.jpg

Overall, I really like the presentation. To my ears, this amp is capable of delivering really good sound that is better than the older Tripath-based Class D amps I've had and still own; however, I have an issue with background noise that sounds like RFI. When I engage the MUTE on my preamp, the noise goes away.

Someone on another forum mentioned he had the same problem with his TPA3110D2 amp when he connected it to his preamp, but when he connected it to his Airport Express, the noise went away.

I fabricated a makeshift test chassis using some scrap wood, Aluminum angle stock and better connectors. So then I connected my amp to my iPhone and played some music and the noise went away.

A3-1.jpg

• Anyone have any ideas as to why I am hearing noise with my preamp?
  • Is it an impedance-matching issue where I need to add 47kohm resistors between the signal inputs and ground?
  • Is it a shielding issue where this amp needs to be in a metal enclosure with shielded hook-up wire to limit RFI emission?
Old 24th December 2013, 08:03 PM   #269
rhing is offline rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

I was able to sort out the noise issue by installing 33kohm resistors between the signal inputs and signal grounds. No more weird RFI and now all I get is room-filling sound. Ideally, I would put in 47kohm resistors, but these were the closest I had in my stash. I may install a 50k Panasonic EVJ volume pot. For now, it sounds great as a power amp paired with my ARC LS7 tube line stage preamp.
Old 24th December 2013, 09:34 PM   #270
goo is offline goo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks Rich,

I have the same noise issue with my little Sure 3110 Golden Ratio boom box. I will definitely try your mod, i should be able to get one of the baffles opened if i am careful. I used minimal with glue to be able to open it if necessary )

goo

Last edited by goo; 24th December 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!