TI TPA3100D2, Amazing Class D Amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2012, 02:04 AM   #11
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi Wushulu,
Any difference in the sound between the evaluation board and the TBI implementation.?
I felt my battery powered Trend audio with TA2024 and some mods in the input and power supply caps on board is very transparent already.
I am always willing to try new ideas.
You post are intriguing and tempted to buy one if not for the FEDEX fee of US 40 !
The TI chip is very cheap though.
thanks

kp93300
Old 17th August 2012, 02:11 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi Wushulu,
Any difference in the sound between the evaluation board and the TBI implementation.?
I felt my battery powered Trend audio with TA2024 and some mods in the input and power supply caps on board is very transparent already.
I am always willing to try new ideas.
You post are intriguing and tempted to buy one if not for the FEDEX fee of US 40 !
The TI chip is very cheap though.
thanks

kp93300
They sound very similar...
Old 18th August 2012, 12:31 AM   #13
Bernie7 is offline Bernie7  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Wushu thanks for putting this amp on the radar screen here.

Could you see what opamp is used as input buffer in the TBI?

cheers,
Bernie
Old 18th August 2012, 02:27 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

TI OP2889
Old 20th August 2012, 04:51 AM   #15
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wait a minute, 17 are listed here. Is there a quick way to find out which one it is?

Integrated Circuits (ICs) | Linear - Amplifiers - Audio | DigiKey
Old 20th August 2012, 05:27 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeout View Post
Wait a minute, 17 are listed here. Is there a quick way to find out which one it is?

Integrated Circuits (ICs) | Linear - Amplifiers - Audio | DigiKey
If you look carefully, the ones that are actually available for purchase...
Old 20th August 2012, 05:57 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Avnetexpress has better prices. Not sure how shipping cost to Canada compares between the two.

http://avnetexpress.avnet.com/store/...&page=1&rank=0
Old 22nd August 2012, 01:18 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

So, are these the easy and relatively low cost mods that need to be made to this board?

1. Change input RCA's?
2. Change speaker output posts?

And runing the board off 24V batteries?

Wushuliu, is there any update on running this board off the Meanwell? How does running the board off batteries and a linear PSU compare?
Old 22nd August 2012, 04:41 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_correa View Post
So, are these the easy and relatively low cost mods that need to be made to this board?

1. Change input RCA's?
2. Change speaker output posts?

And runing the board off 24V batteries?

Wushuliu, is there any update on running this board off the Meanwell? How does running the board off batteries and a linear PSU compare?
The RCAs are a problem. Maybe someone can figure it out: They have differential inputs with jumpers by them for unbalanced. I have no idea what balanced rca's exist that could be used in the first place. Anyway, I tried to bypass the rca inputs but nothing worked. I tried to solder connections directly to the pads which normally works fine but there is something to how the differential input is set up that I am missing because nothing works. So I have to plug an rca into the jacks and run wires from the plugs to the chassis inputs, creating an unneeded extra connection.

If someone can explain how to avoid having to use the stock rca that would be great.

As for binding posts, up to you.

Power supply is also a matter of choice. Batteries work great and last a good while. I use a Meanwell SMPS and it sounds terrific. Honestly I can't detect enough of a difference to stick with batteries. Probably the bateries are lower noise, slightly quieter background but convenience wins and I am impressed with the Meanwell.

I do want to add that having compared with the TBI, the TB still sounds amazing and slightly better than what I have with the devlopment board. I am using a DCB1 buffer pushed to 800mA and in certain ways it sounds as good or better but the TBI really does have a very clean, low noise profile to my ears and a more holographic 3-D delivery. I can only guess this has to do with the Opamp OP2889 buffer. Hopefully smarter minds can explain why this may be.

Last edited by wushuliu; 22nd August 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 22nd August 2012, 04:55 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
Avnetexpress has better prices. Not sure how shipping cost to Canada compares between the two.

Texas Instruments TPA3100D2PHPR, 48HTQFP EP, Speaker, Class-D, Differential - Avnet Express
If you want I can send you the TBI to try out and take a peek since I am not using it right now. It would be nice to get more objective perspective on the unit. I apologize for being snappy before, I just can't stand hamster wheel threads and wanted to avoid that.

Hide this!Advertise here!