TI TPA3100D2, Amazing Class D Amp - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2012, 07:28 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

Let me know what you think of it vs. the 3110 after getting one built.
Old 19th January 2013, 11:23 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

Default Exploring Options

As there seems to be no advance with the TPA3100 range of boards and I cannot afford to mess around with my Texas board at $140 (cause I would blow it up!!)
I have decided to explore this little baby from Ebay

2X50-W STEREO CLASS-D AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER circuit board TI TPA3123

It is a bridged board and it will be intersting to compare the sound quality of the two boards.

Will let you know further when it arrives in a few days
Old 20th January 2013, 11:10 AM   #153
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi tabarddn
eagerly awaiting your experience .
have your receive the unit ?
cheers

kp93300
Old 20th January 2013, 10:52 PM   #154
vlad335 is offline vlad335  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
I've tried Panasonic KAs, Silmic II, Chemicon 100v, Nichicon Muse KZ. It's easy to swap using the SMD pads until you find what works for you. I do like the KZ, they really are very good. And cheap!
I have a couple of these boards on the way and was wondering what uF value caps you used. ( Link?) I would like to get these ordered and would like to be ready to swap them out on day one. All the pics I have seen I can't make out their value. Did you stick with the stock rating? Can one go bigger?

BTW. Thanks for your post. Would greatly appreciate any help in the form of a link.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:21 PM   #155
vlad335 is offline vlad335  United States
diyAudio Member

Found a better pic of this board. Is this the correct Nichicon cap?

UKZ1E221MHM Nichicon | Mouser
Old 20th January 2013, 11:50 PM   #156
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

Will those caps fit on the board? They are 12.5mm dia. I think the ones on the board are 8mm
Old 21st January 2013, 12:25 AM   #157
kad is offline kad  Canada
Banned

Well since I joined diyAudio yesterday, while searching for the schematic for a SWTPC Headset Class A Amplifier, I built back in the seventies, I think this will solve my issue.

Class D was relatively obscure for me until I bought a 9.2 channels Pioneer Elite SC-65 receiver, and was completely blown away by the definition, clarity, and all the details I missed for over 40 years!

So I just placed an order for the eval board from DigiKey. Mainly to drive my Sony XBA-3 earbuds with maybe a simple 9V battery. In full glory! And also perhaps to drive external satellite drivers I might stumble upon.

I'm choosing the later unit to the one described by the OP.

The specs are mighty impressive:
TPA3117D2 data sheet
TPA3117D2EVM data sheet

If this proves satisfactory, I might even contemplate this module as a method to drive individual midrange, tweeter, and super-tweeters speakers, all bi-tri-quad amplified, of course. And do away with the passive crossovers in the existing units.

Digital Signal Processing is cool!

~~~~~~~~~~
Going up a level is most important.
~ Joe Vitale

The sum of wisdom is that time is never lost that is devoted to work.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1803-1882, American Poet and Essayist

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.
~ Vince Lombardi, 1913-1970, American Football Coach
Old 25th January 2013, 01:11 AM   #158
diyAudio Member

Default Received my board from EBay

Hi, Received my board from EBay, nicely laid out to my untraines eyes in a dual mono fashion. Up and running in 5 minutes quite impresive, and powerful.
Will need to let it break in for a couple of weeks before I do a comparion.
I now realise what these chips have over the Tripath boards, They have PRAT, not as big a a NAIM amp but definetly much more tha that of other T amps I have tried.
Old 26th January 2013, 10:28 PM   #159
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi tabarddn
Can you post a photo of the board?
What is the build quality and the components used ?

thanks

kp93300
Old 15th February 2013, 08:07 AM   #160
diyAudio Member

Default Listening to the 3116 and 3123

Hi Sorry KP cannot get a good photo of the board. But the ones on Ebay are quite good.
Anyway I have finished my evaluation of the two TI boards I have and found that the sound from both is very good and I could happily live with either of them.
That said I believe that the Texas TPA3116D2 stereo 50 watts coming out on top with definitely a better base line and in an orchestral piece the instruments are better layered than that of the TI TPA3123 board. In saying that however I was surprised that to my ears at least the dual mono bridges TI TPA3123 seemed to go louder that the 3116 amp. But both are well loud enough to satisfy anyone accept for maybe “Petrol Heads”
Interestingly though I have managed to find a commercial release of the 3116 board at last on Taobao. And fortunately I have a friend who has an account with them so I have asked her to purchase one for me. It’s layout looks like it is a perfect clone on the original TI evaluation board.

Hide this!Advertise here!