TI TPA3100D2, Amazing Class D Amp - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2012, 09:49 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Could you order one for me and send it over ?
Sure!
Old 13th December 2012, 08:29 PM   #142
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow, thanks for the tip, wushuliu. That thing will fit in an Altoids tin, I think...
Old 15th December 2012, 10:34 PM   #143
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi wushuliu,
You fried your TPA 3100D2 boards!
Can you share the mods that you performed and the sound quality changes ?
thanks
kp93300
Old 16th December 2012, 09:24 PM   #144
Thor Ra is offline Thor Ra  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Sorry I have been absent. I came across the TPA3110 amp at Part Express and have been using it ever since (I fried my TPA3100D2 - too many mods!). The 3110 is lower powered but sounds FANTASTIC. And it's $10!!!!!. Ten freakin' dollars. And no the Tripath chips do not IMO come close in sound quality. All I have done is swapped the PS caps - which I HIGHLY recommend doing. These TPA chips have incredible potential. The 3110 sounds as good as any amp as I have had in my home, which is granted a very modest setup - I can't afford $$$ gear. But I have built tube amps, IR2092 amps, Tripath, regular SS, receivers, etc... I would love to try the new 3116/8, etc. Hopefully next year I will have time to focus on a proper diy PCB build (sorry I could not commit Jean-Paul) and audiophile power supply. These TPA chips - at least these two I have heard - have so much potential. The end goal is to build an F5 and TPA amp and compare. At the very least the 3110 and 3100D2 compete with the IR2092 and solid state amps I have owned <$1k. Within their power limits of course.

Just my .02. Hope to make some headway next year. Happy Holidays.
Thanks a lot for the tip. What exactly did you swap the PS caps to?

Btw. it's available from ebay and Aliexpress too. I ordered one here. $9.99 shipping included. Might take a while before it gets here though.
Old 17th December 2012, 02:53 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry I have been absent. I came across the TPA3110 amp at Part Express and have been using it ever since (I fried my TPA3100D2 - too many mods!). The 3110 is lower powered but sounds FANTASTIC. And it's $10!!!!!. Ten freakin' dollars. And no the Tripath chips do not IMO come close in sound quality. All I have done is swapped the PS caps - which I HIGHLY recommend doing. These TPA chips have incredible potential. The 3110 sounds as good as any amp as I have had in my home, which is granted a very modest setup - I can't afford $$$ gear. But I have built tube amps, IR2092 amps, Tripath, regular SS, receivers, etc... I would love to try the new 3116/8, etc. Hopefully next year I will have time to focus on a proper diy PCB build (sorry I could not commit Jean-Paul) and audiophile power supply. These TPA chips - at least these two I have heard - have so much potential. The end goal is to build an F5 and TPA amp and compare. At the very least the 3110 and 3100D2 compete with the IR2092 and solid state amps I have owned <$1k. Within their power limits of course.

Just my .02. Hope to make some headway next year. Happy Holidays.
Another thumbs up. I've also been raving about this Sure 3110 board on other forums. I've used it in several amplfiers, as well as some cigar box stereos. It sounds better to my ears than any of my Tripath or Gainclone amps.
Old 17th December 2012, 04:20 AM   #146
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Ra View Post
Thanks a lot for the tip. What exactly did you swap the PS caps to?

Btw. it's available from ebay and Aliexpress too. I ordered one here. $9.99 shipping included. Might take a while before it gets here though.
I've tried Panasonic KAs, Silmic II, Chemicon 100v, Nichicon Muse KZ. It's easy to swap using the SMD pads until you find what works for you. I do like the KZ, they really are very good. And cheap!

Now I don't want people to think this is a 'giant-killer' or it's going to realign the universe. But it's a damn good amp. For the price of two meals at McDonalds. I don't need to say which is better for your health in the long run.
Old 17th December 2012, 03:55 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

DIY Electronics KAA03021 Kit

I ordered and built one of these kits and I'm very satisfied with the sonics. Great for the noob amp builder and a bit more power than the 3110.
Old 17th December 2012, 05:39 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervelorider View Post
DIY Electronics KAA03021 Kit

I ordered and built one of these kits and I'm very satisfied with the sonics. Great for the noob amp builder and a bit more power than the 3110.
How is ithe sound quality compared with the 3110. great website btw. beautiful work.

Last edited by wushuliu; 17th December 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 17th December 2012, 06:15 PM   #149
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How is ithe sound quality compared with the 3110. great website btw. beautiful work.
It's a tough call sonically. They both sound very good to me. I'm using pretty efficient single drivers, so I don't think I'm asking much of the amplifier when it comes to power. I imagine those who need a little extra power would benefit from the extra output of the 3122? I like the through hole components on the Jerry's Electronics kit as it makes for easy component experimentation.
That and the power supply voltage is 10 to 30 volts. I've tried 12 vs. 24 and again, I don't notice a night and day difference with my speakers.

Thanks for the very nice comments!
Old 17th December 2012, 06:29 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervelorider View Post
It's a tough call sonically. They both sound very good to me. I'm using pretty efficient single drivers, so I don't think I'm asking much of the amplifier when it comes to power. I imagine those who need a little extra power would benefit from the extra output of the 3122? I like the through hole components on the Jerry's Electronics kit as it makes for easy component experimentation.
That and the power supply voltage is 10 to 30 volts. I've tried 12 vs. 24 and again, I don't notice a night and day difference with my speakers.

Thanks for the very nice comments!
Ok, thanks. I ask because Parts Express sells a 3122 kit as well (the same kit is available for $10 direct on ebay) and I have a couple. I got the kits before the 3110. I just assumed the 3122 would not sound as good because the chip is older and I read some comments saying it was about the same as Tripath. Your post makes me think I should give the kits a try; it's always best to hear for oneself anyway and I shouldn't have dismissed the kits so quickly given the other two chips sound so impressive.

The 3122 kits can be made as monoblocks as well, providing even more power. Lastly, the kits allow much greater control over parts quality.

Hm, now I feel kind of dumb for not building them. Looks like I have a new project!

Hide this!Advertise here!