Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2012, 02:04 PM   #111
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default TPA3100 design factors

1) With such low power consumption, this accounts for my observation that the amp will run for a few seconds when i switched off the mains.
2)Maybe i should look for a high value low ESR caps and place it at the chip input !
rsavas,
3)Can you design a board with through hole parts and wider spacing for experimentation?

thanks
kp93300

1)Yes that makes sense, the current drawn is low, so the bulk capacitor reserve capacity takes a while to bleed off. I do not get a turn-off thump, because the MCU measures the supply voltage and mutes the TPA3100, if the supply crosses the detection threshold.
2) Not sure why you need to change any caps other than beef up the main reserve cap, which I think you said you have done already? My choice of a 4700uF/35V is I believe sufficient for the application.
3) Sure I can design with PTH parts, but the IC itself is SMT, so the logical thing to do is use SMT parts, that is what TI did on their eval board. I did things a bit different than the TI eval design, as I did not use 0603 & 0402 parts, I used 0805/1206/1210 parts in my design. Makes it slightly larger, but not by much and it is easier to solder 0805 than 0603/0402 parts. Using leaded film caps is a waste of space/cost in my mind. As local IC supply filters, leaded film caps are worse than SMT parts, because of the longer trace lengths = more lead inductance. The signal coupling caps I used are 1210/50V/X7R parts. Sufficient for this application.

Rick
Old 14th September 2012, 06:30 PM   #112
McDark is online now McDark  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to McDark
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi Mcdark
I do not have any hypex amp but the description of the NCORE sound in the Audiocircle has some semblance to what I am hearing.
kp93300
Which source/speakers are you using?

Most Class D amps have similiar sound signature. I've got Yamaha MCR-040 for my kitchen and it has Yamaha YDA147 Class D chip, it sounds pretty much the same way as UcD180 with same speakers (in comparison to say NAD receiver I had before), it has same excellent timing and dynamics, clarity and richness, but UcD180 just has more of that, mostly in clarity/details department. This is well confirmed by THD+N charts of them, they are similiar in shape but different in numbers. So looking at TPA3100 datasheet charts makes me expecting something different as its THD+N chart has different shape and is obviously much worse but which sound signature it shows sonically I can't predict. Why not to try, it is fun.

Jean-Paul, I'm going to order one, try it myself and then we'll decide on further details. Sending from Russia is costly... I'll drop you PM then, but it's not going to be quite soon, one-two weeks maybe.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:47 AM   #113
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Mcdark
My source are waveio to Buffalo2 and discrete monica dac from diyparadise. My speakers are V2 from GR Research. The woofers has its own amplifier and these are 91db efficient and are open baffle design.

kp93300
Old 15th September 2012, 09:49 AM   #114
McDark is online now McDark  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to McDark
kp93300

I see. My speakers approach is quite different, source is tweaked uDAC 2 (Sabre inside so it is close enough to your Buffalo2 source) but speakers are modified AudioPro Bravo FX-04 with selected Vifa/ScanSpeak XT25TG30-04 tweeters installed in place of stock OEM Vifa unknown but similiar units. My small Yamaha uses full-range speakers and they sound amazingly good (escpecially for their size), smooth and juicy with its own Class D, but they did not expected to reveal the differences between it and main UcD-based amp just due to resolution limitations of coaxial/full range design itself in comparison to Ring Radiator type tweeters (or say Magnepans). I do know limitations of two-way speakers in comparison with full-range but thats my sound signature choice and probably this amp is just not for me while it could fit your setup with excellent results. For the money worth trying just in curiosity though, at least to confirm my understanding of Class D properties. Gotta start saving for nCore I guess...
Old 21st September 2012, 08:08 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

@kp93300 do you have a photo of your smps power supply setup? I've been looking at motors caps:-

Motor Run Capacitors 440V : Motor Run : Maplin Electronics

but surely the quality of the power supply is important too right?
Old 23rd September 2012, 01:06 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Hi
This are the motor run cap that use. Rather cheap parts.
I tuned it by ear. The 2 biggest caps are the motor run caps with values 0f 1 uf and 5 uf.

The second picture is a more effective upgrade in my view.
I parallel a 1000uf 25 v cap on the underside of the board. The 1000uf is an improvement over the 470uf.
I tried 0.1uf electro cap, 100nf polyester and 101 ceramic caps. The ceramic sound better.
The type of the bypass caps has a big impact in SQ.

You should experiment and post your findings here.
cheers

kp93300
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor run cap.jpg (311.7 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg 1000uf .jpg (333.3 KB, 637 views)

Last edited by kp93300; 23rd September 2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: insert pictures
Old 23rd September 2012, 01:10 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

I want to share a little more experience with this chip .
I notice that i am playing music at lower volumes these days. Mostly around 85db at my listening position.
My wife comment that she experience good clarity of the vocal even in another room.
The sound is rather neutral and rather sensitive to upstream cable change.

cheers
kp93300
Old 24th September 2012, 10:10 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

wow thanks kp. If I destroy my tbi with my poor soldering I will be buying one of these boards.
Old 24th September 2012, 10:07 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Oh dear looks like I'll be putting that order in then. Didn't see a pair of metal scissors under the small board of the tbi and it shorted something with a snap sound, even though it wasn't plugged in. I don't own a multi-meter but presumably if I got one I could go round testing the bigger components on that board and possibly replace the one I just blew?
Old 25th September 2012, 01:35 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesw View Post
Oh dear looks like I'll be putting that order in then. Didn't see a pair of metal scissors under the small board of the tbi and it shorted something with a snap sound, even though it wasn't plugged in. I don't own a multi-meter but presumably if I got one I could go round testing the bigger components on that board and possibly replace the one I just blew?
Hi gilesw,
Do no despair.
The board survived a short circuit in the power supply input in my board !
A multimeter is very helpful in diy work. try to get one and have some fun .
cheers
kp93300

Hide this!Advertise here!