diyAudio (
-   Class D (
-   -   ta2024 adding Dayton sub-800 possibility ??? (

AC439 4th August 2012 02:15 AM

ta2024 adding Dayton sub-800 possibility ???
I need some help here and I can't find a definite answer even asked partexpress.

First off, I have a once in a lifetime luck that my wife wants a subwoofer. I have the original sonic impact ta2024 amp driving a pair of infinity reference speakers. The Ta2024 is bridged so the (-)s cannot be tied together. I intend to use the Ta2024 speaker outputs connect to the dayton sub's speaker input. Some people said it can be done while some said can't. I contacted PE and the rep said no and I wonder if he knows what ta2024 is (he said it is a chip amp. Yeah, but chip amp usually refers to things like LM3886). He suggested to use only one channel's output (either L or R) for the signal input to the sub. I responded that I will be loosing half of the bass information. He said usually the bass mix is 50% L and 50% R equal. I have to disagree with him.

So, I am still don't know if it can be done or not. If the two (-)s on the sub's inputs are tied together, then it will screw up the T-Amp. I also read somewhere that you can make a cable with resistors (something called Ed's cable ???) to convert the speaker's output signal into the line level for the RCA inputs but to provide enough L/R isolation at the speaker output of the T-amp.

Can anyone point me to the right direction please ? I don't want to miss this opportunity since the wife ask for it so I'd better hurry.

Many thanks.

Davet 5th August 2012 11:29 PM

TA2024 Subwoofer
You can not bridge the outputs of the TA2024. Now if you have two inputs to the subwoofer you should be fine if the subwoofer sums the signals. On the other hand, you will have to use just one channel.

You can sum the inputs via a cheater cable of some sort. You would be better off getting a separate amp that is designed for such duty. There are a number of plate amps designed for just such operation.

Take a look at the amps available at Apex Jr. Take a look at the photos and you will get the general idea of how these products are implemented. There may be other vendors that provide similar products including Parts Express. Good luck!

AC439 7th August 2012 03:51 AM

Thanks for reply. I did look at their schematics and got a general idea about how they do that. Definitely -ve terminals isolations there.

AC439 13th August 2012 05:21 PM

Hate to bring this subject up again....but can I use one of those car speaker to RCA line level converters ? Car stereos' power amp output are usually bridged just like a typical class D/T amp ! Those converters are designed for the already bridged speakers output from the amp with some resistor networks, level adjustment and isolation transformers.

Any comments ?

AC439 15th December 2012 02:15 PM

I am going to answer my own question here.

I ended up trying those car speaker to line level converter and it works. Before I connected it to the speaker terminals, I measured the resistance between the L and R speaker connections on the converter and it shows infinity. Therefore, the L/R channels are completely isolated. Then after I hooked it up to the TA2024, I run a regular RCA L/R cable between the adapter and the sub.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:00 AM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio