best portable mp3 source for t-amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone got a suggestion for a good mp3 source for a tripath amp setup (TA2021 chip)?

I'm trying to create a portable system, but the only really effective portable input I have is a Mac Book Pro (this is portable but not something I want to lug about just to play some mp3's)

I have tried mobile phone headphone out's and there just isn't enough volume.

Anyone got a suggestion for a good mp3 source for a tripath amp setup (TA2021 chip)?

I'm trying to create a portable system, but the only really effective portable input I have is a Mac Book Pro (this is portable but not something I want to lug about just to play some mp3's)

I have tried mobile phone headphone out's and there just isn't enough volume.

iPod and a preamp? :)

Check out some of the FiiO amps headphone amps.. People have been getting nice results with those.

Another option is to change the input sensitivity of the amplifier so that it doesnt need more than 0.5-0.7v of input for max gain..

iPod and a preamp? :)
Another option is to change the input sensitivity of the amplifier so that it doesnt need more than 0.5-0.7v of input for max gain..

Actually even more gain is needed. 200mV for max. volume is the usual standand for iphone compatible inputs. Older volume limited ipods have even lower output than that and needs 140mV for max volume gain.

Last edited:
Actually even more gain is needed. 200mV for max. volume is the usual standand for iphone compatible inputs. Older volume limited ipods have even lower output than that and needs 140mV for max volume gain.

Ok. I checked. And it depends a little on the version of player and the input impedance.

But here's the output chip used in the current version of ipod and iphones so you can calc the needed input impendances and voltage gain yourself.

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/data_sheets/en/WM8731.pdf

Thanks Guys, I had eliminated the prospect of input sensitivity adjustment on the amp due to my limited abilities with on board soldering. I have very little experience (this is the first project I've attempted). The amp I have states the input sensitivity as 200mv, what would I need to do to make this a better match for lower output devices? Is it something that a novice could attempt?

I fear that this might be beyond my abilities, and thus perhaps looking at a headphone amp to boost the output gain of a device or finding a device with better output than my current android phone...

BTW Satunus, i've read through your threads with great interest. In fact the boominator thread was what gave me the confidence to try and create a portable system.

Be careful which resistor you change if there is a differential amp on the front end.
The balance of the diff amp can be upset if you change the feedback resistor from the output and give you a DC offset on the output.
Change the resistor that goes through a capacitor to ground.

Thanks Nigel, Although there's very little chance I'll be changing resistors... That is pushing my competence!

I've now assembled my project (a boom box consisting of Kef Uni q drivers and a TA2021 chip amp. It seems to have worked out well and I'm very happy with the sound quality. The volume is perfect when using a source like a laptop, so I think a small headphone amp is going to be the easiest way to get the gain up from a phone or similar device without going mad with a soldering iron...

Anyone have any good suggestions of something cheap and cheerful?

Is your media AAC or MP3? You had mentioned a mac as holding your music. If you were in the States and your music in mp3, look at this mp3 card reader sold at parts-express. I think you need 5v to power it. Hopefully you might be able find similar locally.

It's mostly mp3, these look quite nice for an integrated solution. There was a mention of loss of bottom end in one of the reviews on the link you provided, which would be a deal breaker for me. I'm not sure I would fair well without a screen either, as my music collection on my phone alone is about 25gb and more like 100gb on the laptop! I also have just got a spotify premium subscription so the phone is starting to fill up with offline playlists, and leading me towards some sort of headphone amp to up the volume with the phone as the main source.

thanks for the suggestion though :)

The Fiio will not work while you recharge it. The unit I mentioned has a Removable, Replaceable standard 9 volt battery. It will keep working as long as you have spare battery's to put in it.

Since you have such large storage space (25gb & 100gb) do your Ears a favor and try out some Loss less music ( FLAC or Apple Loss less) You might be surprized!

!

The Fiio will not work while you recharge it. The unit I mentioned has a Removable, Replaceable standard 9 volt battery. It will keep working as long as you have spare battery's to put in it.

Since you have such large storage space (25gb & 100gb) do your Ears a favor and try out some Loss less music ( FLAC or Apple Loss less) You might be surprized!

!

Thanks for the heads up on the charging situation.

I have little use for Lossless formats on my phone. It's a phone, and limited to the phones output (no line out or USB dac options). There's a fixed 32gb storage limit as well which wouldn't go far with lossless files.

All my serious listening is either Vinyl or CD at home on my Naim (small uk hifi manufacturer) system. I never use headphones and nowadays the computer is just for Spotify.

The phone gets used in the car and on my newly completed battery powered Kef system for camping etc .The main focus of getting a bit more volume out of the little amp I'm using. I've been looking at the bigger brother E11 which is only about £45 this has removable batteries, which may be an option if the battery charge issue becomes a real bugbear.

Thanks again.

It's mostly mp3, these look quite nice for an integrated solution. There was a mention of loss of bottom end in one of the reviews on the link you provided, which would be a deal breaker for me. I'm not sure I would fair well without a screen either, as my music collection on my phone alone is about 25gb and more like 100gb on the laptop! I also have just got a spotify premium subscription so the phone is starting to fill up with offline playlists, and leading me towards some sort of headphone amp to up the volume with the phone as the main source.

thanks for the suggestion though :)

No worries. $15 USD is $15 USD is not much. :) You had mentioned a portable solution. What drivers were you intending to use? Sensitive fullrangers?

There is a kit from Velleman that has an optional display. it has an intergrated amp and headphone amp. there seems to be a set of docs for it as well.

I've been figuring out the best bang for the buck for a "boom box" for the kitchen. As I already had an ipod, I had to only worry about amplification as I have a pair of cheap speakers I could easily shoe horn in a T-amp like the TK-2024.

No worries. $15 USD is $15 USD is not much. :) You had mentioned a portable solution. What drivers were you intending to use? Sensitive fullrangers?

There is a kit from Velleman that has an optional display. it has an intergrated amp and headphone amp. there seems to be a set of docs for it as well.

I've been figuring out the best bang for the buck for a "boom box" for the kitchen. As I already had an ipod, I had to only worry about amplification as I have a pair of cheap speakers I could easily shoe horn in a T-amp like the TK-2024.

Yep $15 is not much for a punt you're right! The screen is interesting, and makes it more viable. Need to take a look further and see what the deal is with bottom end filtering.

I started this project, having had listened to a number of retail powered speakers. Arcam M cube, Boss sound dock etc and thought this isn't much cop for £400. So I set myself a budget of £100 and went about making something. I bought a SMSL TA2021 amp on ebay from hong kong for about £25 and found some Kef Q compact speakers second hand for £50 and paired the two together with very positive results. They are the Uni q drivers with the tweeter in the middle of the driver, and run at 98db sensitivity. I've now put it all together into a plywood enclosure with a sealed lead acid battery and am very pleased with the result. Just need more input gain from my phone else it's not too portable lugging a laptop round...

It's well worth doing, I'm really pleased with the result. Now the prototype is done I just need to refine the finish and get it looking neater!

Good luck with your project. I found that pairing the amp with the speakers in their original enclosures gave me a good idea of the potential, and I went about replicating the internal volume of the new box to match that of the original box. Kept things very simple, and the results were very predictable!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.