best portable mp3 source for t-amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2012, 11:28 AM   #1
pixate is offline pixate  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default best portable mp3 source for t-amp?

Anyone got a suggestion for a good mp3 source for a tripath amp setup (TA2021 chip)?

I'm trying to create a portable system, but the only really effective portable input I have is a Mac Book Pro (this is portable but not something I want to lug about just to play some mp3's)

I have tried mobile phone headphone out's and there just isn't enough volume.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixate View Post
Anyone got a suggestion for a good mp3 source for a tripath amp setup (TA2021 chip)?

I'm trying to create a portable system, but the only really effective portable input I have is a Mac Book Pro (this is portable but not something I want to lug about just to play some mp3's)

I have tried mobile phone headphone out's and there just isn't enough volume.
iPod and a preamp?

Check out some of the FiiO amps headphone amps.. People have been getting nice results with those.

Another option is to change the input sensitivity of the amplifier so that it doesnt need more than 0.5-0.7v of input for max gain..
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedras View Post
iPod and a preamp?
Another option is to change the input sensitivity of the amplifier so that it doesnt need more than 0.5-0.7v of input for max gain..
Actually even more gain is needed. 200mV for max. volume is the usual standand for iphone compatible inputs. Older volume limited ipods have even lower output than that and needs 140mV for max volume gain.

Last edited by Saturnus; 3rd August 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Actually even more gain is needed. 200mV for max. volume is the usual standand for iphone compatible inputs. Older volume limited ipods have even lower output than that and needs 140mV for max volume gain.
Ok. I checked. And it depends a little on the version of player and the input impedance.

But here's the output chip used in the current version of ipod and iphones so you can calc the needed input impendances and voltage gain yourself.

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/document.../en/WM8731.pdf
Old 3rd August 2012, 02:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Guys, I had eliminated the prospect of input sensitivity adjustment on the amp due to my limited abilities with on board soldering. I have very little experience (this is the first project I've attempted). The amp I have states the input sensitivity as 200mv, what would I need to do to make this a better match for lower output devices? Is it something that a novice could attempt?

I fear that this might be beyond my abilities, and thus perhaps looking at a headphone amp to boost the output gain of a device or finding a device with better output than my current android phone...

BTW Satunus, i've read through your threads with great interest. In fact the boominator thread was what gave me the confidence to try and create a portable system.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Be careful which resistor you change if there is a differential amp on the front end.
The balance of the diff amp can be upset if you change the feedback resistor from the output and give you a DC offset on the output.
Change the resistor that goes through a capacitor to ground.
Old 6th August 2012, 09:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Be careful which resistor you change if there is a differential amp on the front end.
The balance of the diff amp can be upset if you change the feedback resistor from the output and give you a DC offset on the output.
Change the resistor that goes through a capacitor to ground.
Thanks Nigel, Although there's very little chance I'll be changing resistors... That is pushing my competence!

I've now assembled my project (a boom box consisting of Kef Uni q drivers and a TA2021 chip amp. It seems to have worked out well and I'm very happy with the sound quality. The volume is perfect when using a source like a laptop, so I think a small headphone amp is going to be the easiest way to get the gain up from a phone or similar device without going mad with a soldering iron...

Anyone have any good suggestions of something cheap and cheerful?
Old 6th August 2012, 01:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've been looking at a Fiio E6 does anyone have any experience with one of these. These seem to be selling around the 20 mark, so cost efficient enough to still keep my project on budget!
Old 7th August 2012, 02:57 PM   #9
redkid is offline redkid  United States
diyAudio Member

These seem to be well priced
Micro Cmoy headphone amp - Opamp 2227 - Amplifier Tiger | eBay
Old 7th August 2012, 10:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkid View Post
Are they any good? What would be the benefit of this over something like the E6?

Hide this!Advertise here!