Help for a Class D amp in a harsh, hot environment - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2012, 08:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help for a Class D amp in a harsh, hot environment

Hello folks-

I'd like to use a class D amplifier in a harsh, desert environment; Burning Man.

It needs to put out a clean-ish 2x 80~100w per channel into 8 ohms (THD ~ <1% or so).
It needs to be reliable for ~ 2 weeks in a hot, alkalai dust environment.
It needs to be pretty simple to put together as I need to finish this in ~3 weeks.

Enclosing the amp in a sealed case is probably mandatory and passive cooling would be necessary. I'd like to be able to mount the heat generating components to the case to use as a heatsink.

There are so many boards and kits, it is a bit bewildering. If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks- Kent
Old 1st August 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you are going to populate your own board, then I would reccomend using elevated temperature range components or automotave range.
Old 1st August 2012, 07:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Nope- I just don't have the time to populate my own boards. I'm happy to do some modding of an assembled board. So many to choose from. Some seem to have reliability issues.

41 Hz kits good? They seem to be well thought out.
Old 1st August 2012, 07:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstlfido View Post
Hello folks-

I'd like to use a class D amplifier in a harsh, desert environment; Burning Man.

It needs to put out a clean-ish 2x 80~100w per channel into 8 ohms (THD ~ <1% or so).
It needs to be reliable for ~ 2 weeks in a hot, alkalai dust environment.
It needs to be pretty simple to put together as I need to finish this in ~3 weeks.

Enclosing the amp in a sealed case is probably mandatory and passive cooling would be necessary. I'd like to be able to mount the heat generating components to the case to use as a heatsink.

There are so many boards and kits, it is a bit bewildering. If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks- Kent
You face a challenging time-schedule, since many of the digital amplifier board suppliers are located overseas, with delivery times measured in weeks. That fact can easily limit your ability to get the assembly completed in ~3 weeks unless you can expedite shipping.
Old 1st August 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstlfido View Post
Nope- I just don't have the time to populate my own boards. I'm happy to do some modding of an assembled board. So many to choose from. Some seem to have reliability issues.

41 Hz kits good? They seem to be well thought out.
True, but according to their web-site, they do not seem to have any assembled boards in stock. You will have to populate one of their boards if you purchase from them.

The 41Hz AMP9-basic might work, especially if you only have 12volt batteries to work from. (You can parallel the outputs to end up with two high power stages) chip was originally designed for automotive use... (read as "hot harsh environment")

Joe L.
Old 1st August 2012, 08:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Joe. Yup the amp 9 or 10 basic's will probably do the job. i like the fact they have versions with power supplies, too. Or I could run it off batteries.

But they are kits. And it looks like they ship from Europe.

What about the IRS2092 board at Parts Express? I'll have to figure out a 60V PSU (my camp has AC power at Burning Man). I don't know about the quality of the boards PE sells, though. Shure boards?

-Kent
Old 1st August 2012, 09:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've had really good experience with the Hifimediy amps.. The T1 is built for 8ohm and will put out around 80-100w..

Hifimediy T1 no volume pot TK2050 STA510

The input sensitivity is 1.5v though, but that can be fixed by changing 2 resistors if you want to use it with an iPod or the likes..

Hide this!Advertise here!