Linear or SMPS for Classd amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Both can be excellent or poor depending on the implementation.

AFAIK not all SMPS are regulated. A linear supply may be regulated if you are willing to deal with the heat/losses that will come with this. A linear supply should have a very large transformer for best performance.

I have never built a Class D amp but I have built Class AB amplifiers with SMPS supplies with very satisfying results. For an idea of how good a Class AB amp can perform with a SMPS have a look in the thread for the LME49830 based 'The Wire' amp where opc measured its performance with a high quality regulated SMPS.

You can get better performance with a regulated SMPS. As with any other thing, there are good and bad ones. Linear PSU of similar performance is usually much bulkier, heavier and expensive than an switching PSU.
The traditional EMI problems of SMPS have been reduced to excellent levels making them practical for high-end audio. Again, in good designs.

Don't think that a regulated SMPS will be cheaper than a linear!:D
And what's the purpose of the stabilization or linear , or SMPS ? All (almost ;) ) amplifiers have an excellent rejection of the supply ripple.:confused:

oh I think it will, if you take everything into account. to build an equivalent linear supply that is capable to not sag in the slightest on highest transients, you have a reasonable cost right there, then you have to build or buy a much larger chassis than needed if using SMPS as well, add in the shipping of the heavier parts and you would be surprised how close or even behind

oh I think it will, if you take everything into account. to build an equivalent linear supply that is capable to not sag in the slightest on highest transients, you have a reasonable cost right there, then you have to build or buy a much larger chassis than needed if using SMPS as well, add in the shipping of the heavier parts and you would be surprised how close or even behind
I agree , but i didn't mean any weight , shipping , heating , and other non electric properties :D
My opinion is that there is no need for regulated (stabilized) supply , neither lineer or switch. ;)

Just want to start a thread about power supply of D amps.

As I seen many prebuild solid state amps has power transformer has power equal or less than the dictated power of the amp. For example, a 80*2 ta2022 has a 160W transformer. Does redundancy need for transformer? May it a compromise to cost and size?

For the cost, I survey the Taobao,

24V 300W turtoid transformer: RMB65
24V 10A SMPS: RMB80-121

I don't sure the quality of either.

I agree , but i didn't mean any weight , shipping , heating , and other non electric properties :D
My opinion is that there is no need for regulated (stabilized) supply , neither lineer or switch. ;)

well ermm yes you were, you were talking about cost vs quality, those are all factors of cost and therefor value for money.

I really think you need to look at those measurements of the wire powered by DPS-600 and then tell me theres no advantage to regulated. I didnt buy them to save money, I bought them because the performance was spectacular and i'm building a multichannel amp so size matters

actually here i'll link some. show me a linear unregulated supply with that sort of performance and i'll show you something that costs more and is 5-10x the size. it would have to be an exceptionally well designed unregulated supply at any size/cost.

i'm sure it can be done, but in particular the full power (250W) pulse at 100Hz and lack of under or overshoot on the start/stop at 1kHz measures (this is of it actually powering the amp, red and blue traces are the rails) it would be a tall order. swing in this case is +/-65v, 20v divisions and noise is dB/V

Attachments

• Distortion Product Ratio 3W 600mA copy.jpg
    Distortion Product Ratio 3W 600mA copy.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 519
  • FFT Spectrum Monitor - 3W 8R 400mA copy.jpg
    FFT Spectrum Monitor - 3W 8R 400mA copy.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 503
  • Full Power Pulse Zoom 1K.png
    Full Power Pulse Zoom 1K.png
    69 KB · Views: 486
  • Full Power Pulse Zoom 10K START.png
    Full Power Pulse Zoom 10K START.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 487
  • Full Power Pulse Zoom 10K STOP.png
    Full Power Pulse Zoom 10K STOP.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 482
  • Full Power Pulse.jpg
    Full Power Pulse.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.