Linear or SMPS for Classd amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2012, 03:09 AM   #11
weiyan is offline weiyan  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Just want to start a thread about power supply of D amps.

As I seen many prebuild solid state amps has power transformer has power equal or less than the dictated power of the amp. For example, a 80*2 ta2022 has a 160W transformer. Does redundancy need for transformer? May it a compromise to cost and size?

For the cost, I survey the Taobao,

24V 300W turtoid transformer: RMB65
24V 10A SMPS: RMB80-121

I don't sure the quality of either.
Old 24th July 2012, 04:18 AM   #12
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimonis View Post
I agree , but i didn't mean any weight , shipping , heating , and other non electric properties
My opinion is that there is no need for regulated (stabilized) supply , neither lineer or switch.
well ermm yes you were, you were talking about cost vs quality, those are all factors of cost and therefor value for money.

I really think you need to look at those measurements of the wire powered by DPS-600 and then tell me theres no advantage to regulated. I didnt buy them to save money, I bought them because the performance was spectacular and i'm building a multichannel amp so size matters

actually here i'll link some. show me a linear unregulated supply with that sort of performance and i'll show you something that costs more and is 5-10x the size. it would have to be an exceptionally well designed unregulated supply at any size/cost.

i'm sure it can be done, but in particular the full power (250W) pulse at 100Hz and lack of under or overshoot on the start/stop at 1kHz measures (this is of it actually powering the amp, red and blue traces are the rails) it would be a tall order. swing in this case is +/-65v, 20v divisions and noise is dB/V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distortion Product Ratio 3W 600mA copy.jpg (113.4 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg FFT Spectrum Monitor - 3W 8R 400mA copy.jpg (148.6 KB, 211 views)
File Type: png Full Power Pulse Zoom 1K.png (69.0 KB, 202 views)
File Type: png Full Power Pulse Zoom 10K START.png (61.3 KB, 202 views)
File Type: png Full Power Pulse Zoom 10K STOP.png (49.8 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Full Power Pulse.jpg (140.6 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by qusp; 24th July 2012 at 04:32 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!