need help quick... tda7498 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a question about using SLA batteries to power a sure 4x100 TDA7498.

I was planning to run it with brand new 7 amp hour SLA batteries, three in series, making 39 volts. I'm using good 14 gauge wire and good connections. The batteries are charged.

The amp is clipping at high volumes with an iphone as the source. It clips at the low gain setting, and more with the high gain setting. Then I moved it down to 24v and it was able to play louder before it clipped.

What is going on? It doesn't feel like the amp is running at its highest potential.

Any advise?

Thanks, Tor

ps... running 4 ohm kicker 6x9 speakers.

Hi Tor. I posted an answer to your question on Parts Express (see here for other readers of this thread: 4x100W TDA7498 Class-D Amplifier Board 320-305), but because Parts Express answering policy does not allow me to post direct links to external websites, I couldn't give you the link to the site detailing how to fix this problem. Anyways, since I happened to find this thread, here it is: Trevor Marshall - Class D Audio Amplifier Design - TDA7498 Output filters

It's by an Australian electronics engineer, and as you can see he doesn't like the design of this amp either. It really is a very poorly-designed amp.

Let me know if this helps with your problem because I'm really curious about whether your clipping problem is the same as the one I had with my 2 amps of this model.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.