Hifimediy T2 TK2050 and Mean Well in hifi separates chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

First post here and complete newbie to the world of DIY audio (I have not yet built anything) so please be gentle... :eek:

I am considering purchasing a Hifimediy T2 TK2050 amplifier and using a Mean Well NES-350-27 27V DC 13A 350W regulated switching power supply. I am on a tight budget so was thinking of buying an extremely cheap hifi separates amplifier from eBay, removing all the components from the inside, and then using it as a chassis for the T2 and the Mean Well. I was wondering if this would be possible and whether I would also be able to use the speaker terminal binding posts, RCA female connector chassis sockets, the power socket and volume knob that would come with the eBay amplifier thus saving me from actually having to purchase these separately and having to customise the chassis in order to fit these parts. If this is possible will it have any affect on the overall audio quality of the finished amplifier and are there any features in particular that I should be looking for when purchasing the amplifier from eBay?

I also noticed the Mean Well power supply has a built-in cooling fan so was wondering whether airflow would be a problem?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I am a complete newbie, with no experience whatsoever. I have done a lot of research but needed some guidance before I commit to the purchase.

Thank you all in advance,

Moonie

Thank you Leejin for your reply. I was only thinking of purchasing the chassis from eBay not the actual Hifimediy T2 PCB board.

I was thinking of buying a very cheap hifi seperates amplifier from Ebay, removing its internal components and then sticking the Hifimediy board and the power supply in there. I thought this would lower the cost of the project as old amplifiers can be found on Ebay for almost nothing rather than purchasing a custom enclosure or having to make one myself (cost of materials plus tools needed). I also thought I could recycle the speaker binding posts, RCA sockets, power socket and volume knob that would come with the amplifier so I would not have to buy these which would be another expense plus there is the added convenience that these parts would already be installed so need for any drilling etc.

As for the chassis I would probably go for whatever is cheapest, with the right dimensions to fit the board plus the PSU, looks OK, and which appears to have good quality RCA sockets, speaker binding posts and power socket (would I be able to see whether they are good quality from the seller's photos?) and therefore I will not be able to show you the exact enclosure I will use until I get to that stage of the build and I get to see what is available on eBay.

Once again thank you for your help.

I would totally buy the Hifimediy T2 TK2050 from Hifimediy directly. Not sure what you're paying on Ebay, but here is thepage form them:
Hifimediy T2

And the chassis question; I'd have to see the chassis you're describing. I'm not quite sure what you're wanting to do.

He has an interesting idea. Buy a super cheap amp in a case from EBAY. Throw away the amp and supply (if in the case). Save the RCAs, speaker connectors, power connector and volume control. Those items will already be mounted for him.

So the EBAY cheap amp will have to cost less than the cost of an equivalent case and the cost of the parts he is going to keep from the cheap amp.

He will then mount a HiFiMeDIY T2 amp in the case along with a Meanwell supply.

One unknown in this will be the resistance of the volume pot. It may or may not be okay for your T2.

You might also consider a Connexelectronics supply. Some consider them better for audio and I believe they will be smaller than the Meanwell. Most Meanwells come in their own case but the Connexelectronics is just a board.

So you will of course have to confirm that the amp and supply will fit okay in the amp case from EBAY.

Hope it works out for you.

Rod

It should work fine

As long as there is sufficient space inside the receiver/amp case. If need be you can outboard the Meanwell and hide it behind or underneath some furniture and just run the DC lines from it through an opening in the receiver case. If you gut the power supply and remove the ac cord from the receiver/amp chassis there may be space for the whole assembly.

The HiFimeDIY unit you have selected is one of the best sounding units in stock form. Later if you want to you can tweak and modify, but as is it's a very fine sounding amp.

Moonie.

I've done this before.
The problem is that many cheaper amps have sockets and volume pot mounted to the PCB, which makes them difficult to use. You may be able to use the holes.

Often the front panel is either plastic or mounted to the sides with plastic clips. This usually has to be replaced altogether.
Unless you can find a scrap chassis for free, i don't think there is much advantage in buying them.

Something like a Cambridge Audio amp (metal front plate)would be a good start.

Sometimes the secondhand stores have scrap chassis lying around. Stuff that isn't worth repairing.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.