What GAUGE wire????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>= 1mm squ would suffice for the power switch... whatever that translates to in gauge.

For speakers, the thicker the better. I would start with 2.5mm squ min. More than likely, getting hold of some dedicated 'speaker cable' shouldn't be too much of a problem hopefully.

For both, multi-stranded & not solid core.

Andy

Thanks for the replies guys!

For the speakers I was thinking of getting some 16 gauge multi stranded wire. Is it possible to go to thick for an amp this small? I am going to be using two 5 1/4" speakers and two 2" tweeters. They are 8ohm and I will be wiring them in parallel. Is this overkill?

Would 24 gauge Cat 6 wire work for my power leads? I have a friend who does cabling and said he could get me some free spare wire. It of course is solid core.

What do you think?

Thanks again,
Kiana

I guess, the question is about the same amp board as discussed in this thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/216022-wiring-help-super-duper-nice-girl.html
So the power cord would be a wire to a 12Vdc supply and no trouble with 120V AC mains.
...at 12V for 2x10W class D amp, I agree to the view of Saturnus that you can use almost any wire. The same is valid for the speaker wiring.

Thanks for the replies guys!

For the speakers I was thinking of getting some 16 gauge multi stranded wire. Is it possible to go to thick for an amp this small? I am going to be using two 5 1/4" speakers and two 2" tweeters. They are 8ohm and I will be wiring them in parallel.

Regarding thick wires for the speakers:
There is nothing wrong in using thick wires, as long as they still fit in the terminals of the board.

Regarding parallel wiring of the speakers:
Are you planning to have two woofers and two tweeters in each box?
For a 10W class D amp I tend to say, that's overkill. Furtheron you might overload the amp, because the data on e-bay is looking like the amp is intended for use with 8 Ohm speaker (2 speakers of 8 Ohm in parallel would result in effective 4 Ohms).

Or are you planning to wire the woofer and tweeter directly in parallel?
Don't do this. Again also this would result in 4 Ohms, but more critical is
the fact that the tweeter must not be powered with the unfiltered full audio signal. The low frequencies would cause heavy distortion in the tweeter and already at decent levels it would kill the tweeter.
The absolute minimum filter, I am struggling to call this a x-over, would be a capacitor in series with the tweeter (typical value range: 6.8uf...4.7uF).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.