WIRING HELP for a Super Duper Nice Girl ;) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2012, 09:49 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the correction; I don't know why I was thinking the ground sleeve is the same length on both.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:04 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

No worries, like I said, I initially thought EXACTLY the same thing and like you, was about to post to say as much - then the penny (or cent) dropped.

A
Old 21st July 2012, 06:04 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Ok guys, I did a google search and came up with this pdf on how to wire stereo to mono. Seems like it would work to me, what do you think??

If the attachment doesn't work, here is a direct link

http://www.intelix.com/media/tech_no...eo_to_mono.pdf

Last edited by kittygirl; 21st July 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 21st July 2012, 12:21 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygirl View Post
Ok guys, I did a google search and came up with this pdf on how to wire stereo to mono. Seems like it would work to me, what do you think??
That's showing how to passively sum two unbalanced signals using resistors and feed them into a balanced input. Not really what you're going for here.

Unless you rewire your guitar cord with a stereo plug like underworld suggested, there's no way to avoid using a switch if you want both stereo 1/8" and 1/4" mono inputs on the amp.
Old 21st July 2012, 07:29 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I'd suggest you make a short patch lead, 1/4" mono female jack to 1/4" or 1/8" stereo male jack. Converts any standard guitar lead to use with your amp without hacking up your guitar lead ie you can still use guitar lead with any guitar amplifier.
Old 25th July 2012, 07:57 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
That's showing how to passively sum two unbalanced signals using resistors and feed them into a balanced input. Not really what you're going for here.

Unless you rewire your guitar cord with a stereo plug like underworld suggested, there's no way to avoid using a switch if you want both stereo 1/8" and 1/4" mono inputs on the amp.
Thanks for clearing that up Anonymous1.

I am thinking I would like to try adding a switch. I did a google search and came up with a bunch of what I think is irrelevant info. Could you point me in the right direction where I could find a wiring diagram to accomplish this.

Thanks again!!!
Old 25th July 2012, 08:02 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah, another quick question. This little amp requires a 12V 2A power supply.

I happen to have one on hand, however the input plug doesn't fit. My question, can I just cut of the adapter plug and solder the leads to the underside of the board? Basically bypassing the outlet on the board? Or should I unsolder the outlet and solder directly to board itself.

Thanks again,
K
Old 25th July 2012, 08:12 AM   #28
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygirl View Post
Oh yeah, another quick question. This little amp requires a 12V 2A power supply.

I happen to have one on hand, however the input plug doesn't fit. My question, can I just cut of the adapter plug and solder the leads to the underside of the board? Basically bypassing the outlet on the board? Or should I unsolder the outlet and solder directly to board itself.

Thanks again,
K
Either is fine. Make sure you get the polarity right and be sure to avoid any possibility of wire "whiskers" that can caue a short if the lead can move... or it's tears at bedtime

A dab of silicon sealer (not the quick cure that gives off acetic acid) can be usefull for securing leads and avoiding cable strain.
Old 25th July 2012, 08:46 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly!

I just realized I have 2 power supplies, I don't want to cut both of them.....Sooooo, i am wondering which one I should use.

One says "Switching Power Supply"
One says "Class 2 transformer"

Any advantages/disadvantages to using one over the other?

How do I determine correct polarity?

Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 09:28 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

"Switching Power Supply" or Switched Mode Power Supply or SMPS uses a higher switching frequency than the mains frequency to transform mains voltages into a more useable voltage. Their advantage is that they are more efficient, smaller and lighter than their 'normal' counterparts that use a simple large transformer to do the same job. Their disadvantage is that due to the higher switching frequencies they employ produce more electrical noise (oh and they are more complicated and hence more to go wrong on them). Personally I love them.

The other "Transformer type II" is I guess a more traditional type set up: transformer > rectifier > regulator style: less electrical noise but at the expense of being heavier, bulkier and less efficient.

In the 'audio world', SMPS's are frowned upon because as I've mentioned above they produce more electrical noise due to faster switching frequencies, but one could argue that these frequencies far exceed the audible range our ears can hear.

Also, the amplifier you've chosen uses switching techniques so that in itself is another controversial 'thing' in the audiophile world: Personally I have no beef with these types of 'Class D' amps and use them myself along with a SMPS to provide power for it.

--------------

I will sketch something up for your question above, but in the mean time do you have a manufacturers part number for both the 1/4" and 1/8" jacks you intend to use?

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!