Best unmodded amp boards for price/performance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. I would like to say goodbye to two old (and huge) sony receivers and replace them with small efficient class d amps. I'm fine with wiring jacks but I've never soldered anything before so I would prefer prebuilt amp boards that sound good without mods. No set watt per channel requirements but I would like to drive low sensitivity speakers to fill a basement with sound if need be. I've done some research here on the different amp kits (hifimediy TK2050, LJM IRS2092, connexelectronic TA2022/3020) but I'd like some real world opinions and recommendations since I can't try before I buy. Ideally I'd like to keep each amp + power supply under $100 but I'm flexible. I see lots of good priced boards on ebay from china but I'm guessing thats a gamble without mods?

Don't where you're located, so the thru-the-hole kits at 41hz.com might good if you're a fair hand with the solder iron. As they say, they're a nice piece of kit. :)

For turnkey, Parts Express has the tk2050 in their DTA-100a, but some folks are down on them for the issues with the DTA-100 (previous iteration). They do carry Sure class D boards ready to go if you have an enclosure and power supply sourced as well.

hi,
I have bought a bunch of chip amps,lm3886 and several others ,mostly simple to get going if you can wire everything together,you have to get a transformer and connect it to a power supply or buy a board that has the bridge on it, surelectronics has some D class amps I have 2 of the 4 channel working in a 3 way active crossover setup works good ,it and the power supply are under a 100 on ebay ,and the sound it's good ,other setups are going to cost more so performance = cost, one of the 2 x600 would be plenty,get a volume control with the kit.
Find some that match or will power your speakers and your there!
good luck!

Try the HiFiMeDIY boards

At a slightly higher cost than the Sure boards, HiFiMeDIY has some very good sounding boards. Stock they sound much better than a lot of even very good class AB amps, modded they can sound spectacular. I waded through about six different types of Tripath type boards and found these to be the best sounding, particularly when driven by a 24V battery supply, which IME far surpasses the sound from most available SMPS.

Hi Jack,
I went to the site and looked at the boards,the first thing I read is the first batch is still not working right? I bought some sure boards that were dying due to heatsink problems,it this what's going on with these boards,Heatsink compound fixed mine,and I would like to try a pair of those but not until some research and what mods do you recommend and for what board,
Thanks,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.