mini ta2020 very noob question/s - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2012, 05:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default mini ta2020 very noob question/s

very very new to the diy audio.

im in the hunt for a mini amp. and so far everything its leading me to the ta2020.

now i really dont want to spend alot of money at this point. and yes i have been searching on ebay.

now my question is. why is it that most mini ta2020 only have the volume control knob? why is it that the only one, the lepai ta2020, has bass and treble knobs?
Old 15th June 2012, 07:54 AM   #2
blossom is offline blossom  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I am playing with some lepai's atm because i wanted to learn about circuits and components.... The ta2020 chip is very satisfying for what it is. I don't know why others dont have tone controls, perhaps because they cant add that and do a good job of it while keeping in budget. I like being able to tweak the tones my self too, I do this with software on the pc. The lepai certainly is not the way to see this chip shine. From what i have come to understand, the amp6 from 41hz is perhaps one of the better implementations, i often see the helderhifi models mentioned too. Buts that is just a bare board no volume even just a power amplifier(you must control volume with the source). Some of the stuff you have seen on ebay will be quite good but I am not in the know as far as whats good that comes in an enclosure. hope this helps
Old 15th June 2012, 11:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The Topping TP20-MK2 seems to be one of the prebuilt favorites. I have no personal experience with this unit but many claim that this has better build quality than most all of the other inexpensive units.

Last edited by ssportclay; 15th June 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 15th June 2012, 11:32 AM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanc723 View Post
now my question is. why is it that most mini ta2020 only have the volume control
knob? why is it that the only one, the lepai ta2020, has bass and treble knobs?

Hi,

I'd say most only contain the raw power amplifier with a passive volume input.

The Lepai includes some op-amps in the pre-amp so has tone controls.

rgds, sreten.
Old 15th June 2012, 05:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks everyone for the input.

i started out playing with a small cabinet project and jumped on the triger and got a lepai model (not the ta2020) that was like 10 bux shipped from ebay. i have no idea what chip is it alli know is that is not what i expected. i guess that how you learn on this game. now since im on a budget i think i will try out the lepai ta2020a+ since all i see its nothing but good reviews about it. although the other models on ebay look good. their enclosures are way better than the lepai's but it bugs me that there are not tones knobs.
Old 16th June 2012, 10:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanc723 View Post
thanks everyone for the input.

i started out playing with a small cabinet project and jumped on the triger and got a lepai model (not the ta2020) that was like 10 bux shipped from ebay. i have no idea what chip is it alli know is that is not what i expected. i guess that how you learn on this game. now since im on a budget i think i will try out the lepai ta2020a+ since all i see its nothing but good reviews about it. although the other models on ebay look good. their enclosures are way better than the lepai's but it bugs me that there are not tones knobs.
One way to look at tone control knobs is that by giving you this convenience feature, the designer had to compromise the sound quality by adding extra junk to the signal path. For example, my brother would always turn his treble knob all the way to the right to compensate for the high frequencies that were being washed out from the free factory interconnects he always used. You cannot compensate for signal that is actually being lost. Once its gone, its lost forever. People spend lots of money on high quality volume controls just to prevent signal loss and you actually need one of those.

Hide this!Advertise here!