Adding capacitor for battery powered Sure TA2024

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've been running my Sure TA2024 board for a bit now and I like the sound produced by 8 or 9 AA batteries in series. I know that 8-10 AA (alkalines) in series start to get over 1 ohm internal resistance even when fresh. At 50% usage it is probably in the 2 ohm range.

My question is: Can I add some capacitance (like a car stiffening capacitor) to improve transients when the battery pack's internal resistance starts to rise? Will it make an improvement with transients and/or overall sound quality?

Thanks,

Roberto

Yes, you can, but be sure that the ESR of such cap, be less than that of the battery, if not it is inefficient.

Also, Y suggest to add some caps of different values and types: by example, a 100uF electrol, a 1uF tantalum, and a .1 ceramic, in this way one each works in a different frequency range.

Also you can add a regulated PS, that if well designed, can have very low output impedance.

Regards.

Thanks for the quick response.

"Also you can add a regulated PS, that if well designed, can have very low output impedance."

I agree completely, right now I am just using batteries until I can afford and finish a high power linear regulated unit. Linear regulators seem to have very low output resistance compared to batteries. I have tried several swtichers, but none of mine seem to have low enough noise for my tastes. I can always hear garbage from the power supply on my speakers.

It depends of the type of SMPS design, decoupling and wiring. I have a equipment made with a SMPS of 70W flyback, +-14V outputs for TDA2006, and I don´t listen nothing abnormal. More, the Am receiver powered from the same PS, doesn´t care the noise, when well filtered. I´m fervent defender of SMPS´s when well designed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.