HIFIMEDIY T1 SOUNDS HARSH AND BRIGHT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2012, 04:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default HIFIMEDIY T1 SOUNDS HARSH AND BRIGHT

Just got my t1 board today set it up with a 24v 13 amp power supply runing through my modified marantz cd 67se and mission m74 speakers and the sound is harsh at top end and bass is not as deep as my 41hz amp 6 basic. With the 41hz amp it sounds more natural warmer sound the t1 board sounds harsh. Is this a burn in problem will it get better with time
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can any one help double chexed all wireing nothing wrong nothing out of phase. Is this a problem because the power supply and amp need to burn in or are thay just not that good
Old 25th May 2012, 02:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Tripath

Hi, I have the HIFIMEDIY T1 and I would not say that it sounds harsh to my ears. The amplifier is transparent with zero audible distortion. I have a few Class AB amps and I can't really tell the difference with Class D Tripath amps - they all sound wonderful to me.

If your system sounds harsh or bright, it may be a room/speaker equalization problem rather than the electronics.

Last edited by greenm01; 25th May 2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 25th May 2012, 03:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It's interesting that the T1 and T2 SE use the same chips yet most builders say that the T1 sounds more "clinical". Not sure why that is, but you could try the T2 SE instead.
Old 25th May 2012, 09:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to activexp Send a message via AIM to activexp Send a message via MSN to activexp Send a message via Yahoo to activexp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull041161 View Post
Just got my t1 board today set it up with a 24v 13 amp power supply runing through my modified marantz cd 67se and mission m74 speakers and the sound is harsh at top end and bass is not as deep as my 41hz amp 6 basic. With the 41hz amp it sounds more natural warmer sound the t1 board sounds harsh. Is this a burn in problem will it get better with time
I have a T1 amp and would not say that it sounds harsh and thin on bass, but i do have other issues.

Firstly there is switch-off thump. Does yours do this?

Secondly the DC offset on the left channel is unstable and impossible to set within the desirable range of 0 - 10mV. Whether this has any bearing on the switch-off noise I do not know

I'm using a Connexelectonics SMPS300 at 35V for the power supply.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi all thanks for reply do thay get a smother sound after burning in i could cope with the reduced bass but not the harsh trebble . I dont have any problems with turn on or off thump. I know its a different chip but i keep comparing it to my amp 6 basic which as nearly as much power as this amp and sounds a lot more natural
Old 26th May 2012, 07:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi all are these amps rubish then compared to the 41hz amps i bought this amp after reading about all the good feed back thay got but im very dissapointed with the sound and power does not seem much more powerfull than my little 41hz amp. Or is this just because im runing it off a 24 volt 15 amp power supply
Old 29th May 2012, 08:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi View Post
It's interesting that the T1 and T2 SE use the same chips yet most builders say that the T1 sounds more "clinical". Not sure why that is, but you could try the T2 SE instead.
I would confirm this generally but though that the T1 is not a clinical amp. Just in relation to the T2. Further I found the bass of the T1 a bit tighter independed from the speaker's impedance.
Old 30th May 2012, 03:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi all is there anything i can do to warm the sound and sweeten the trebble a bit as it realy over bright and is going to burst my ear drums soon. I realy dont know how people have said this is a good amp as standard. It realy needs some smoothing out the bass as allso limited i have found. The 41hz amps are far better sounding. If any any one can help me out with any mods to sweeten the top end and imrove the bass i would be very pleased
Old 30th May 2012, 03:31 PM   #10
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

How about some pictures of your setup (PC board(s), SMPS, connections, etc.)? That may spark some ideas.
I have a T2 and find it very accurate... How hot of a signal is your CD player sending? What mods were done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by activexp
I'm using a Connexelectonics SMPS300 at 35V for the power supply.
Whoa, isn't that about 4 volts higher than hifimediy recommended as the maximum for these boards? Are you using one of the higher output chips?

Last edited by von Ah; 30th May 2012 at 03:34 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!