HIFIMEDIY T1 SOUNDS HARSH AND BRIGHT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got my t1 board today set it up with a 24v 13 amp power supply runing through my modified marantz cd 67se and mission m74 speakers and the sound is harsh at top end and bass is not as deep as my 41hz amp 6 basic. With the 41hz amp it sounds more natural warmer sound the t1 board sounds harsh. Is this a burn in problem will it get better with time

Tripath

Hi, I have the HIFIMEDIY T1 and I would not say that it sounds harsh to my ears. The amplifier is transparent with zero audible distortion. I have a few Class AB amps and I can't really tell the difference with Class D Tripath amps - they all sound wonderful to me.

If your system sounds harsh or bright, it may be a room/speaker equalization problem rather than the electronics.

Last edited:
Just got my t1 board today set it up with a 24v 13 amp power supply runing through my modified marantz cd 67se and mission m74 speakers and the sound is harsh at top end and bass is not as deep as my 41hz amp 6 basic. With the 41hz amp it sounds more natural warmer sound the t1 board sounds harsh. Is this a burn in problem will it get better with time

I have a T1 amp and would not say that it sounds harsh and thin on bass, but i do have other issues.

Firstly there is switch-off thump. Does yours do this?

Secondly the DC offset on the left channel is unstable and impossible to set within the desirable range of 0 - 10mV. Whether this has any bearing on the switch-off noise I do not know :confused:

I'm using a Connexelectonics SMPS300 at 35V for the power supply.

Hi all thanks for reply do thay get a smother sound after burning in i could cope with the reduced bass but not the harsh trebble . I dont have any problems with turn on or off thump. I know its a different chip but i keep comparing it to my amp 6 basic which as nearly as much power as this amp and sounds a lot more natural

Hi all are these amps rubish then compared to the 41hz amps i bought this amp after reading about all the good feed back thay got but im very dissapointed with the sound and power does not seem much more powerfull than my little 41hz amp. Or is this just because im runing it off a 24 volt 15 amp power supply

It's interesting that the T1 and T2 SE use the same chips yet most builders say that the T1 sounds more "clinical". Not sure why that is, but you could try the T2 SE instead.

I would confirm this generally but though that the T1 is not a clinical amp. Just in relation to the T2. Further I found the bass of the T1 a bit tighter independed from the speaker's impedance.

Hi all is there anything i can do to warm the sound and sweeten the trebble a bit as it realy over bright and is going to burst my ear drums soon. I realy dont know how people have said this is a good amp as standard. It realy needs some smoothing out the bass as allso limited i have found. The 41hz amps are far better sounding. If any any one can help me out with any mods to sweeten the top end and imrove the bass i would be very pleased

Joined 2008
Paid Member
How about some pictures of your setup (PC board(s), SMPS, connections, etc.)? That may spark some ideas.
I have a T2 and find it very accurate... How hot of a signal is your CD player sending? What mods were done?

activexp said:
I'm using a Connexelectonics SMPS300 at 35V for the power supply.

Whoa, isn't that about 4 volts higher than hifimediy recommended as the maximum for these boards? Are you using one of the higher output chips?

Last edited:
Hi im useing a 24v 13 amp power supply the cd player is a marrantz cd 67 se with HDAM by pass muting circute by pass upgraded caps on power supply and and op amps. Opamps uprated to the HA tin hat screaned ones another external power supply runing dac. I will post some pics of the amp but its sounds fine with the amp 6 basic i just wanted more power thats why i bought this t1 board after reading all the good feedback it got but to be honest im dissapointed with the sound of it

The gain of the T1 amp is 15 and the sensitivity is 1.5V. It might be that the amp 6 has different gain settings. If you increase voltage to T1 you will get lower distortion and maybe a feeling of more power. Try 30+ VDC.
You can increase gain by changing some surface mount resistors if you have the skills.
Change the input caps is the single most effective mod you can do.
But based on your experience, it might be something else with your setup that makes it a bad combination.

My HIFIMEDIY T2 sounded harsh when I first hooked it up. I was able to reduce the harshness by applying a zobel and adjusting the resistor (lower resistance equals lower highs).
The output filter on Class-D amps interacts with the speaker it is connected to so Class-D amps can sound different with different speakers. Instead of using a zobel you can redesign the output filter to more closely match your speakers.

My HIFIMEDIY T2 sounded harsh when I first hooked it up. I was able to reduce the harshness by applying a zobel and adjusting the resistor (lower resistance equals lower highs).
The output filter on Class-D amps interacts with the speaker it is connected to so Class-D amps can sound different with different speakers. Instead of using a zobel you can redesign the output filter to more closely match your speakers.

Thanks for reply what is a zobel. Allso any idea why my amp is not that powerfull im useing 90db mission speakers but to get it loud i have to wind it round tree quaters of the way same as my amp 6 basic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.