Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2012, 10:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TK2050 / TA2022 & Alternatives

First time poster here. I am currently running in am SMSL TA2020 based T-amp with various sources and a pair of Acoustic Energy Evo 3 speakers (8 ohm, 90.5db efficiency). The amp was purchased to check out the T-amp sound with a view to kitting out a second / third system with a more powerful version.

First impressions after about 10 hours are sufficient power for my 13m2 listening room, fine soundstaging, clear midrange and acceptable bass performance. The T-amp based "System 2" will be paired with a pair of Kef Cresta 1 spreakers (88db), a Rotel Preamp (to facilitate multiple inputs - TV, DVD, CD & laptop) in an 18m2 room. Overall I find the sound of the TA2020 based amp to far exceed its price point, but currently just lacking a bit of midrange warmth (my valve amp uses Winged C EL34 and Mullard preamp valves).

I'd like a little more power and also midrange warmth for System 2 but retaining the clarity and imaging and the ability to follow all the layers on complex tracks. I'd appreciate any views on TA2022 and TK 2050 based amps plus any other alternatives, particularly with respect to my needs. I'd be looking at assembled boards from the like of hifimediy etc.
Old 19th May 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently experimented with a "Topping TP 20-MK2" which is a very refined T2020 amp. This was with speakers rated at 89db.
I also liked the clear mid and did find the rising high end of the T2020 chip to be lacking in mid rage warmth but, it was not a problem that my graphic EQ could not solve for the most part.

However the limited power of of the T chips was a problem .
Yes they can reproduce pleasing sounds with bland, compressed muisic at lower levels. The problem lies with good uncompressed music with loud transients that reveal the low power and inject noticable distortion, making the transients sound unnatural.

So, I gave up on it and went back to my inexpensive 60w RMS per channel (into 8 ohms) amp. To me, it sounds better over all.

Last edited by JoeDJ; 19th May 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!