diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   Best TK2050 assembled board? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/212676-best-tk2050-assembled-board.html)

samadhi 15th May 2012 02:16 AM

Best TK2050 assembled board?

Hi,

Im looking for a Tk2050 assembled board for 8ohm speakers other than the Sure electronics kits.

Ive had a look at the Hifimediy page but their 8 ohm T1 kit uses a "sta510a" chip and the T4 which uses "sta517b". Does this have similar sound signature to the TK2050?

Im currently using the Dayton DT100a which is nice but looking for a step up in quality and bass performance.

Thanks

Kjeldsen 15th May 2012 08:59 AM

Remember to use a good power supply. That will probably help in bass performance too.
I have not tried TK2050, but some other class d types. Cheap SMPS power supplies are very good value, but they are not as good as a traditional linear supply or a SMPS designed for audioamplifier use.

The standard laptop power supplies are designed for continuos/steady current draws, and not quick bursts as in audio.

I use 300 watt toroid for NXP8950th based amps (connex), and the bassperformance is really good. A Panasonic SA-XR50 (equibit/texas instruments class d) that are rated similar to the NXP8950th amps, is not nearly as good a bass performer as the NXP modules. At moderate to high volume the SA-XR50 will sound harsh and loose control at freq. below 200 Hz (just at guess). Many have tried to replace the power supply on SA-XR50 with very good results.

dublin78 15th May 2012 10:02 AM

The hifimediy boards are very popular.

There are longs threads either here, or over on audio circle.

I have bought one with the matching smps, but I have not implemented it yet.

Hifimediy T2 2*100W TRIPATH TK2050 TC2000 10000uf | eBay

samadhi 15th May 2012 10:53 AM

Cheers guys, I think i'll go for the T1 for my 8 ohm speakers. Should be a good project to get my feet wet.

Quote:

I have not tried TK2050, but some other class d types. Cheap SMPS power supplies are very good value, but they are not as good as a traditional linear supply or a SMPS designed for audioamplifier use.
Newb question here, where can I find a SMPS that is designed for amp use?

Kjeldsen 15th May 2012 11:11 AM

hifimediy have some from connexelectronic. But why not use a good old fashioned linear supply? I think that all of hifimediy's kits have onboard power supply and only need a transformer.

samadhi 15th May 2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

But why not use a good old fashioned linear supply?
To answer your question, i'll ask a question: What IS a "linear supply" ? :)

In other words, I have very limited knowledge in electronics. I build speakers but they don't use 240V!

Kjeldsen 15th May 2012 11:47 AM

Linear supply is just a normal old fashioned power supply.

Like this class d amp
http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpeg/dual1803_2.jpg

samadhi 15th May 2012 11:55 AM

So would I just need a Toroid or is there something else required? I like the idea of a power supply in a case, to protect myself from high voltages.

Kjeldsen 15th May 2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samadhi (Post 3024111)
So would I just need a Toroid or is there something else required? I like the idea of a power supply in a case, to protect myself from high voltages.

A Meanwell have exposed terminals, so this is also potentially dangerous.

A linear power supply is a transformer, rectivier and capacitors. If the rectifier and capacitors is in the board (this is the case of a lot of class d modules), then you just need the transformer.

samadhi 15th May 2012 12:36 PM

Thanks for your patience. How can I tell if the board comes with a rectifier and the correct capacitors?

Hifimediy T1 ALPS vol pot TK2050 STA510