Best TK2050 assembled board? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2012, 01:06 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi View Post
Thanks for your patience. How can I tell if the board comes with a rectifier and the correct capacitors?

Hifimediy T1 ALPS vol pot TK2050 STA510
"The board can only take DC powersupply, no AC." - Means that it have no rectifier or capacitors onboard.

Hifimediy T2
"This board can take both AC and DC powersupply" - means that it have rectifier and capacitors onboard.
Old 15th May 2012, 02:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

You guys are kidding me right ?

Computer supplies are designed for current bursts even more so than audio amps, audio amps are the constant sources that hardly change in terms of voltage and not current
Computer DC-DC converters draw surges way faster than any Class D amp will do and on top of that if you are designing Class D make it small not use a massive toroid and massive caps. It's JUST OVERKILL.
Why feed linear into a switching device? Do some soul searching you audio idiots
Old 15th May 2012, 02:33 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Most people are reporting better results with the SMPS supplies.

When I researched it. This was the most popular, so I bought one. It is very simple to connect up. It can be bought from difimediy also. Either off ebay, or their own site: Meanwell NES 350W 27V

N.B. They are now selling this power supply, which is much more compact. I would probably have gone for one of these if they were available, just because of its size. I don't know how they are favoured in comparison. SMPS300R 28V 230V power supply
Old 15th May 2012, 03:16 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I never said that linear is better than SMPS, just that it's better that a bad SMPS like the typical laptop brick or underrated SMPS like in the Panasonic SA-XR50. I also never said that you should overrate the transformer and caps. Please read what I write!

You can have good results with both types. But if you have a class d amp with low PSRR the a good SMPS will most likely be much better that a standard linear supply.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Sorry. I was not critising you Kjeldsen, or linear supplies.

Just passing on general feedback from users.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublin78 View Post
Sorry. I was not critising you Kjeldsen, or linear supplies.

Just passing on general feedback from users.
sorry, my answer was to DJdestiny.
Old 15th May 2012, 08:24 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDestiny View Post
You guys are kidding me right ?

Computer supplies are designed for current bursts even more so than audio amps, audio amps are the constant sources that hardly change in terms of voltage and not current
Computer DC-DC converters draw surges way faster than any Class D amp will do and on top of that if you are designing Class D make it small not use a massive toroid and massive caps. It's JUST OVERKILL.
Why feed linear into a switching device? Do some soul searching you audio idiots
I'm not an expert/designer and have to "believe" in something .

If you look at the average SMPS it do not have peak current, that is much higher than average current. Linear supply will have more peak current.

I also just claimed that the standard laptop brick is not suited for hifi. It's power factor will most likely be very low, and it's EMI/RFI will also be very high. Well designed smps for audio use is another matter. I don't think I will be able to tell the difference. Class D in high end audio uses both linear supply and smps.

I have talkes to a company that produces both class d amp and smps. They suggested linear supply for hifi use, and smps for pro audio use. Not because of differences i sound, but because weight didn't matter so much in normal hifi application. So who should I believe

In the end I can only trust my own ears. Because I know that amplifier and power supply design is not easy, and you can't just say that class d and smps are the right combination, and class AB and linear supply is the only combination.
Old 16th May 2012, 01:48 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Reading up a bit more is making me a bit nervous about attempting this project. I dont have the required knowledge and experience to wire up a naked power supply into a chassis, earth it etc.

I am considering using the 24v adaptor that comes with the dayton amp. I realise it wont give me the best possible result but it seems like the safe option for a complete newb.
Old 16th May 2012, 06:42 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

If you get grounding issues, you can end up frying a class d board (been there done that).

There are a couple of semi pro audio amps, that might interest you. Behringer have Europower EPQ series (not all are class d, but several are) and NU series. These have retail cost around 220$. More that a Dayton, but still very good value. NU series have noise fans, EPQ450 have no fans.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:39 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Wiring up a hifimediy board with a meanwell smps power supply is childsplay. It is well labelled, and all done with screws, so no soldering needed.

Hide this!Advertise here!