Sure 4x100w - how to connect to mp3? (newbie)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I've been reading everything I can manage (including a big portion of http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/164274-new-tk2050-board-2.html ) but I cannot work out what I need to do.

I've bought a Sure 4x100w 4 X 100Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Board ? TDA7498 _Class D Amplifier Board_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_Audio_Sure Electronics' Webstore -

It doesn't have a volume control, from what I've read I need to buy some form of pre-amp. Can anyone recommend me a simple solution?

There's so much conflicting info on what I need to do to connect mp3player - amp - speakers... all I've built previously are 2 channel boxes, much simpler.

I know the answer is probably somewhere in that massive thread, but I've been trawling it for an age now and am just becoming more confused... thanks in advance for any advice.

How about "CMoy" amp? It's what I use mainly to boost the output of my mp3 player fed into my main sys for tracks that are a bit too low in volume.
They have a volume control, are battery powered, are inexpensive, they are small.. and sound great.
You can't get any simpler than that.

Last edited:
Like this? Micro Cmoy headphone amp - Opamp 2227 - Amplifier | eBay

I apologise for being a complete newb, but just to check - it won't matter what voltage I'm powering the amp at if I use this? It's on a seperate power source?

From what I've read, I need to power the amp at at least 24volts.

Also, to get this into the 4 input sockets on the amp would it work to use a Y splitter and then two stereo-2xRCA cables?

Thanks. In future I'll stick to the simple 12v 25w stuff :p

That is exactly the kind of CMoy amp I refered to.
In fact, I believe I got mine from same vendor and it's a qualty amp.

Your power amp would be seperate from your mp3 player/CMoy combo, They will just be the source and "preamp". So, you would still set up your power amp as you normally would.

I do have a couple of questions........
Why did you get a 4 channel amp?
Also, what else will you feed into it besides a mp3 player if anything?

Last edited:
You don't need the CMoy thing IMO. The amp you bought has adjustable gain settings, crank it up a bit and stick a potentiometer in there and you'll be good to go.

No, he does not absolutely need it but, given the variable levels of a lot of mp3s, a CMoy would be ideal for his purposes as I understand it as it has a volume control and would allow him to adjust it for each individual mp3 if needed which is what I often do.
It's much simpler/easier than frequently adjusting the volume level on the mp3 player etc and it solves the problem of individual low volume mp3s.

As the OP stated, he wanted a simple preamp of sorts with a volume control for mp3s. :)

Last edited:
FWIW...
Here's a pic of my MP3 player and CMoy.... it's connected to my source switch box.
I just set the output voume on my MP3 player and forget it.
I then, ajdust the voulme (if needed) up or down with the CMoy.

BTW, I modified my CMoy to run on 6xAA batteries as well as on a 9v. The 6xAA last longer. Although, even a single 9v battery lasts fairly long.

Attachments

• xmycmyr1x.jpg
    xmycmyr1x.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 115
Thanks for the info, especially for that photo.

I bought a 4 channel because it seemed the logical choice for 4 speakers...
(see: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...41339_100003349153609_300604_1458821031_o.jpg )

Won't be feeding anything else in, this is purely a portable sound system. Just trying to make one a little louder than my usual 2x25w so my mate can hear it over his firestaff.

Unfortunately Boscoe, doing as you suggest is far beyond my ken... one day I'll learn this stuff, I'm sure it's basic - but I'm below basic.

Anyway, I'll probably go with the CMoy > Y splitter > 2x 3.5mm to 2RCA cable option, as it's cheap. This is intended to be a budget system and the Behringer is £60+ in the UK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.