AMP6-Basic vs. Topping TP20 mk2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Cooldox is offline Cooldox  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Question AMP6-Basic vs. Topping TP20 mk2

Hello. We're a couple of manly men, thinking about building a speaker-system for the Roskilde-festival.
We're probably going to have a lot more questions than this, but just to start out with the basics, we're stuck on choosing an amplifier.
Basically, what we're going to want is (a class-d amp?) efficiency and low distortion.
We realize that you can't have both for cheap, so efficiency is probably the most important of the two.

Anyway, back to the case - simple question - which one of these is the best.

Topping TP20 Mark2 Class-T TA2020 Digital Amplifier Amp
Topping TP20 Mark2 Class-T TA2020 Digital Amplifier Amp | eBay

AMP6-(BASIC)
41Hz Audio:AMP6-BASIC kit

To sum it all up, what we're wondering, is whether for the festival the casing of the topping tp20 will outweigh pros the reduced cost of the AMP6 and the reduced distortion.

We'd also like other recommendations, if there's a better alternative.

Thanks in advance for any response.
Old 27th April 2012, 10:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldox View Post
Hello. We're a couple of manly men, thinking about building a speaker-system for the Roskilde-festival.
We're probably going to have a lot more questions than this, but just to start out with the basics, we're stuck on choosing an amplifier.
Basically, what we're going to want is (a class-d amp?) efficiency and low distortion.
We realize that you can't have both for cheap, so efficiency is probably the most important of the two.

Anyway, back to the case - simple question - which one of these is the best.

Topping TP20 Mark2 Class-T TA2020 Digital Amplifier Amp
Topping TP20 Mark2 Class-T TA2020 Digital Amplifier Amp | eBay

AMP6-(BASIC)
41Hz Audio:AMP6-BASIC kit

To sum it all up, what we're wondering, is whether for the festival the casing of the topping tp20 will outweigh pros the reduced cost of the AMP6 and the reduced distortion.

We'd also like other recommendations, if there's a better alternative.

Thanks in advance for any response.
Maybe this?

SA-S1 SMSL TA2020 Class-T Digital Amplifier HiFi | eBay

I bought from here, and totally satisfied with build and sound quality... Relatively fast shipping and cheap price.
Old 29th April 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feket663 View Post
Maybe this?

SA-S1 SMSL TA2020 Class-T Digital Amplifier HiFi | eBay

I bought from here, and totally satisfied with build and sound quality... Relatively fast shipping and cheap price.
Thank you very much for the link, I found a couple more amps to consider from that search. It doesn't say anything about the THD+N, though? How do you feel about distortion, especially in the low and high watts?
Old 29th April 2012, 10:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for the link, I found a couple more amps to consider from that search. It doesn't say anything about the THD+N, though? How do you feel about distortion, especially in the low and high watts?
I listen this amp with 97 dB/W sensitivity speakers (4PI), and can't report how behave on high watt... If the power is low, the sound is very beautiful, tight basses, and overal clean sound, but in the beginning the highs are a bit shy, but after 20-25 hours of listening, the levels of high tones are increased.

Sorry for the bad english...
Old 1st May 2012, 07:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

No problem at all, your english is quite understandable. How do you feel about the distortion in the high-watts/volume, though? I'm especially interested in this, as building this is a quite clear benchmark of how good quality the amp is, in my honest opinion.
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No problem at all, your english is quite understandable. How do you feel about the distortion in the high-watts/volume, though? I'm especially interested in this, as building this is a quite clear benchmark of how good quality the amp is, in my honest opinion.
I'm sorry, but I can't listen this amp with high power, 'cause my room isn't too large, and my speakers very sensitive (97 dB/w). For me 2-3 watt is enough for high volume.
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh, alright. I see how that might be difficult to test then. We're mainly going to listen outside with our amp, so the high volume matters a great deal. Thanks though.
Old 4th May 2012, 04:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oh, alright. I see how that might be difficult to test then. We're mainly going to listen outside with our amp, so the high volume matters a great deal. Thanks though.
I live in apartment house on the third floor without elevator, and my speakers about 50 kg each, I'm sorry, but don't want carry down and back these...

Hide this!Advertise here!