Class D: Triangle or Sawtooth?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, very true comment, good observer. Personally, happens two things to me:
1) I very hate all bipolar semiconductor, discrete and integrated, no particular reason, simply hate them.

2) Love single carrier devices like tubes, JFET and MOSFET´s. This includes discrete and integrated: opamps, double gate MOS, Power MOS, 74HC´s, CD4X´s, etc. Not true reason, too. Personal feeling with such kind of devices.

I don´t that one is better than other, simply I prefeer one over others.

Last edited:
gearheadgene: it appears to me you have experience of this kind of devices. Do you know which kind of distortion mainly Class D generates? Odd, even???

I am using at this moment my design, and compared to a standard STK design with same supply, same audio source (PC and winamp with DI euro dance channel), same speakers, it appears to me like more stereo, best bass (Considering inexpensive 4" cone sp), brilliant highs, really best than the AB design

Not sure about the distortion types produced. I believe that dead-time on the mosfets increases distortion, but not sure which type.

Audio is so subjective. I like crisp highs and a lot of bass - but my ears aren't good at all (getting older I guess). A young person might have a different opinion. Maybe the type of music you are playing sounds good with class-d but not with linear design. Maybe your speakers are a better match to your amp. Maybe your amp is more efficient.

Lot's of variables. In the end, it's what you like that matters.

In a high-end audio store nearby, the sales guy told me that Krell amps sounded really bad with (I think) rock music, while a McIntosh amp sounded really good with the same music.

So much variety :cool:

Again, I'm not sure. Does it damp out quickly or is it there for a long time? I'm inclined to say it caused EMI, but not audio distortion.

There's energy stored up in the body caps of those mosfets. When they turn off, the energy has to go somewhere. The lead inductance, body capacitance and your filter network make a nice resonant tank circuit. Maybe you need some snubbers?

OK, yes this theory I know, and for more data, it is used in favor in cuasi-resonant converters, full bridge, or flyback ones. But class D is a bit new for me. In fact I did two of them, both upon the same topology I posted, but they differ in the output stage circuit. I believe in my house I have a copy of such circuit.
It was full complementary MOS technology, from input opamp to last power stage. But suddenly, and without previous advise, output transistors become shortcircuit without overheating. So, time ago I restarted this project using standard IR2110 + IRF510 topology.

The ringing gets about 1/10 the half period of the switching frequency, I believe severily damped, and in case I can add a snubber to more damping. But as I told in the firsts posts and photos, the circuit is in breadboard, and output filter coils are too close between them, interacting.

From yesterday, it was working properly, but I didn´t make it work without load, and works pretty fine. But, I told some posts ago, I sounds very different from the actually STK series. Bass and highs are different, I don´t know how to define this difference. I Insist in remark that are operating under same audio source (A PC), same power source (+-12V from the same PC), and same inexpensive 4" cabinets (Remember I´m in my job, an electronic repair shop)

Thanks for your concern.

A hug to you.

It has been written, that given 2 identical amps, with the only difference being the slew-rate, that the faster amp will sound better. Maybe if that's true, your D amp is faster? Just a guess.

Another subjective thing is volume - maybe your D amp produces more volume?

If you ever get the chance to measure both amps, you may see what your ear is responding to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.