TK2050 vs TAS5630?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey
Im about to buy my first class d amp, and im really in a big limbo regarding what to buy. Long story short. I need the amp to be a part of a portable soundsystem which need to have the ability to play really load and deliver low frequencies you can feel in your body.. You got it right, it needs to be used at an festival. That means that the actual sound quality "doesnt" need to be excellent.

TK2050 - 2 X 100Watt @4? TK2050 Class D Audio Amplifier Board_Class D Amplifier Board_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_Audio_Sure Electronics' Webstore
TAS5630 - 2 X 300Watt Class-D Audio Amplifier Board - TAS5630 _Class D Amplifier Board_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_Audio_Sure Electronics' Webstore

First the speakers the amp have to feed are:
Kustom KSC215H
2x 15" + Tweeter. 300W RMS. Sens 98dB, 4ohm
Kustom KSC215H - Thomann UK Cyberstore
or
AceTec DX215
2x 15" + Tweeter & Horn. "600W RMS. Sens 101dB, 8ohm"
Google Oversæt

Will there be enough power if i buy a 2050 for each speaker or should i buy one 5630 instead? I havent heard any of the amps before so i have no idea how good the 2050 is.

thanks

How will you be powering the amp board?

If for example you use two 12V batteries in series, then you will get about the same power from either board. In that case, paying more for the TAS5630 would be a waste.

To get the most out of the TAS5630 you would need three 12V batteries in series.

And go with the 4ohm speakers to squeeze the most power out of the amp.

I have a tas5630 from sure electronics. So no assembly needed, I just plugged it in.
I used a 30vdc .5 amp adapter, a proton pre 1100 amp and some junk bookshelves.

I cant believe how stinking good in sounded. Barely feeding it 15-18watts ... total. I'd have guessed that adapter would have blown to high heaven exceeding its capacity.

Cool.
Srinath.

I have been scratching my head on something.

Now, this amp I have run for several hours. I powered it up with a 1/2 amp 30 v dc wall wart. 4 dinky diodes in it and a cap the size of my index finger ... 40v 1000 mf if I remember.

That cant be a very clean power supply. That also cant put out anything more than 15-18 watts ... its an adapter for some dinky little device. It will fit inside a coffee cup.
18 watts if the wind is blowing just right ...

How the heck can this amp sound so bloody good. Its easily as nice as most of the vintage amps I have surrounded myself with. I actually like it better than the T class 2020 based amp I have. That guy sounds a bit tinny and harsh compared to this.

Cool.
Srinath.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The 5630 from Sure is a steal of a deal. I have priced the BOM from Digikey to do this build yourself. Even with a free sample TAS5630b, not including the PCB, the parts will cost you about $60. I think TI amps sound better than Tripaths in general, better clarity and deeper bass. They are also idiot proof. You cannot hurt it as it has built in self protection. Needs a 50v power supply at 12 to 14 amps to realize the 300 watts per channel though. The PS will cost more than he amp.

Oh great to hear that. The whole thing was so crazy easy too ...

OK My power supply gonna cost very very little ...
The microwave transformer I am planning to rewind for about 35 v ac, give me ~47 vdc (what exactly is the formula is it Vac X sqrt 2 ? or Vac X 2/pi = Vdc ) ... I have the rectifier and caps already.

Now the thing was last year when I bought this amp I was planning to use it with this monster power supply - Cisco Catalyst 6000 1300W AC Power Supply WS-CAC-1300W

30-40 bucks on fleabay, and a lot cheaper if you're in the business of messing with routers and servers and what not ...

Anyway thanks for replying and affirming my observation ... I am not crazy whooo hoooo ...

Cool.
Srinath.

4 ohm 300 watt, good

An open frame smps from Mean well at 500 watts 48 volts is $161. Actually a good deal for what it is.
USP-500-48 | Mean Well USP-500-48 | USA Warehouse

Unless you roll your own, the ps is the expensive part. Unless you use surplus parts or recycled parts, tough to make it cheaper.

I am winding a microwave transformer - I gutted the secondary, I am waiting on the enamelled wire to get here then I begin the painful winding process. Then of course rectifier bridge and caps.

Now - I have also got a few of these - Genuine Cisco 6000 6500 1300W Power Supply Catalyst 34 0918 03 | eBay -

Its ugly as sin ... but it will dump all the power you need and more clean, steady DC, all day long 365 a yr, 10-20-30 years. I've pulled server and router racks that were turned on in maybe 1992 and never turned off. These are capable of running full throttle years and years and years.
If I was building a subwoofer amp that would be inside the sub cabinet that PS will be my first choice. I'd mount the amp on the body with a wood base and hide em all in the sub cabinet. Seriously that power supply is the shizzle ... its more power than mexico ...

Yes, the 300 watt rating is based on 4 ohm load I think.

Good yea ebay auctions are saying 4 ohm and 300 ... so yes thanks.
With this amp, there is 1 component and a bunch of caps and a couple of gain switches ... ergo, if the chip is stable @ 4 ohm the amp is.
I need to open up that heat sink and see what's under it.

Cool.
Srinath.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Those Cisco server power supplies look interesting. What voltages do they put out? Usually electronics in digital comm are at most 12 volts. The 5630 needs 50v and 12v I think. Under the heatsink you will only find bypass smd caps and maybe a few resistors. The chip is tiny 8 x 12 mm I think. The heat output is not too bad at reasonable levels. At full 300 w/ch it will dissipate 60 watts which is why a fan is tgere. But for 50 to 100 watts, probably no fan is needed.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I did not realize that this offered at PE. $89 and don't have to deal with buying from China via paypal. 2x300W TAS5630 Class-D Amplifier Board 320-309 Still a fantastic value. The PS from PE is true 600 watts and is $130. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=320-317
The reviewer says it barely gets warm at 150 watts as expected.

You know, a mosfet based IRS amp at 250 watts/ch is nice too. Lots of folks building these on other threads.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=320-313 $64.

Last edited:
cisco

Those Cisco server power supplies look interesting. What voltages do they put out? Usually electronics in digital comm are at most 12 volts. The 5630 needs 50v and 12v I think. Under the heatsink you will only find bypass smd caps and maybe a few resistors. The chip is tiny 8 x 12 mm I think. The heat output is not too bad at reasonable levels. At full 300 w/ch it will dissipate 60 watts which is why a fan is tgere. But for 50 to 100 watts, probably no fan is needed.

The cisco's I have pulled have all made between 42 and 48v and anywhere form 280w to 2500. Now you dont want to get one of the bigger ones - like the 6500 watters. They do 6500 watts and probably @ 48v but they are dual outputs. You need 1 of 48v 25amp, that 1300 one I posted does that.

Y'know I'll get you pics. This is stuff we DIY tinkerers dream of. I've seen server farms with these things in racks as far as the eye can see. Seriously cool.

I dont think we need a 12v for this amp unless you're adding a protect. BTW there is a 5.5 and a 12v out from the cisco PS.
In these things there are transformers that are pretty small - like what you would find in say a 30-40 watt ss amp. But I think if I gut a bunch of em and get the trafo's out and chck em. something cool like a tube amp output stage could be built out of those trafo's.

Cool.
Srinath.

75 v cisco ... let me see if there is one.
Anyway before you run out and buy one of those power supplies make sure it has a american standard 3 prong old school PC style plug. Cos in a lot of em cisco put 3 horizontal prongs with a screw in end fitting. That just means you'd be swapping to a US style 3 prong wire though.

Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.