Analogue to I2S & PC to I2S - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Cube2 is offline Cube2  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Analogue to I2S & PC to I2S

Hi,

i just got myself a TAS5026 and TAS5110D6 EVM-kit, User manual .

My problem is it only have a I2S input, and i would like to connect it to my PC and also have a jack-cable for iPod etc..

I've found the miniDPS MiniStreamer which seems like what i need to hook it up to my PC.

My question is, do you know of any solutions which could accomplish the following: PC->I2S and/or Analouge->I2S?

I'm not afraid of DIY and i can solder SMD, but i would like to keep the costs low.
Old 20th April 2012, 04:19 AM   #2
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
analog to i2s is done by what I know, with something like tas3308 or similar...
Old 20th April 2012, 11:36 AM   #3
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ministreamer will handle PC to I2S from the looks of things.

For analog audio to I2S... how about a MiniDSP - It'll digitize analog audio, and it'll give you 6 channels of I2S data you can feed into the eval card. I'd ask on the MiniDSP forum on here if it's 100% possible to do it before you spend money.

Another thing, I know the TAS5026 has an I2C control interface on it... I don't know if it's necessary to use that to make the board operate, if it is you might want to pick up an Arduino board or something.
Old 20th April 2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Cube2 is offline Cube2  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
Ministreamer will handle PC to I2S from the looks of things.

For analog audio to I2S... how about a MiniDSP - It'll digitize analog audio, and it'll give you 6 channels of I2S data you can feed into the eval card. I'd ask on the MiniDSP forum on here if it's 100% possible to do it before you spend money.

Another thing, I know the TAS5026 has an I2C control interface on it... I don't know if it's necessary to use that to make the board operate, if it is you might want to pick up an Arduino board or something.
If I buy the miniDSP miniStreamer & the miniDSP kit, it will be a total of ~220$ with shipping and customs (I live in DK).

To be honest i would like to keep it cheaper than that, so if there's cheaper alternatives (Complete solutions or DIY) it would be nice.

Now i know that S/PDIF to I2S conversion isn't the best solution, but i believe i could get a complete solution from the TAS3308 and a Sound-card for a total cost of ~100$.

I have already planned on using TI's MSP430-series to control the TAS5026, and will also control the TAS3308 with one if i decide to use that solution.
Old 20th April 2012, 01:09 PM   #5
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
many computers have s/pdif, I have it... and I use miniDigi, to get I2S and still have s/pdif out... from there is 3308

you have many ways of doing it, which one is right one for you, you decide
Old 20th April 2012, 02:50 PM   #6
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another random idea, if you've got the programming ability - get your hands on a TMS320C5535 "EZDSP" evaluation kit for 99 bucks USD - C5535 eZdsp USB Stick Development Kit - TMDX5535EZDSP - TI Tool Folder

It has an asynchronous USB to I2S example as the default program on the board, it wouldn't be too difficult to strap the I2S lines over to the TAS card to act as a USB to I2S interface.

With a bit of programming it could handle the I2C control duties. Making the onboard audio CODEC handle A/D conversion should be possible. You could even program the DSP do digital crossover duties etc. if you feel that motivated.
Old 20th April 2012, 02:57 PM   #7
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Look for the "xmos USB to i2s" thread on the digital sources forum. I think the assembled board is around $150

Hide this!Advertise here!