TA2020 amp powering B&W 686?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm about to buy my first little t-amp. I'm considering two options:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
&
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

However, the one has a higher dynamic range (100db vs 103db). Which one will be the better choice, considering connecting them to a set of Bowers & Wilkins DM 686 of 84db?

Best,

Esben

And on a side note: does anyone know how to disable the blue led around the volume knob?

FWIW....
I currently have a T2020 amp (ToppingTP20-mk2) connnected to a a pair of 8ohm speakers rated at 88db. and the sound is cleaner at normal volumes (for my apartment) than amps I tried that had over 50w rms @8ohms.

I come from an era where monster high powered amps were the norm and I was reluctant to try and take a small T amp seriously but, I have to say that I'm really impressed. with the topping T2020 amp.
Of couse, it will not give me widow shattereing volums but, that is not what I want and transents are clean and right there at my normal listening levels.

It should also be said that obviously, not all T2020 amps sound the same.
I also have a cheap Lepai T2020 that I got to experiment with a while back and the sound of the Topping is much more refined and cleaner. However, I knew before I got the Lepai that the sound would not be the best.
So, chose your T amps wisely. :)

Last edited:
BTW, I negected to say that realtively inefficient 84db sesitivity speakers might not be a good match for a T2020amp as the amp would probably not have enough power to drive them to normal levels with acceptable distortion.

Last edited:
Ahh, thanks for the responses guys! :) Unfortunately, I kind of thought that would be the answer. Well, then it only becomes exciting, putting my own amp together :)

@ JoeDJ: That's exactly my situation as well. I haven't had a amplifier at my place for a couple of years now, due to size and mobility (I've been travelling and moving a lot). Now it's time to get some quality gear in the apartment :)

@ Kjeldsen: I've been looking at the Connexelectronic website earlier, but only for smps - didn't know they made amps with integrated smps as well. Does this mean you only have to add a wire connecting this thing to a wall outlet of 230 volt?
Thanks for the offer, that would be really nice.

Alternatively, I was actually looking at Hifimediy units earlier, but got a little turned off, by my lack of knowledge on how to connect the various parts. I don't know how to connect the smps, what kind of potentiometer to order or how to "ground" the case (if that's necessary at all).
I have access to some tools, that will allow me to build a nice casing in wood (that's my aim so far), so I've got that part covered fairly well.
The sketch attached is what I was thinking of doing. Buy Hifimediy TK2050 amp, mount wires and attach smps, put in casing. Do you think I underestimated the "easyness" of it, or is it too difficult for a "newbie"?

Best,
Esben

Ps. here's the link for the Hifimediy AMP:
Hifimediy T1 ALPS vol pot TK2050 STA510

And short summary of f.a.q. (pretty helpful I think):
T1, T1-M, T2, T3, T3S, T4 Amplifier Manual

Attachments

• Amp-sketch-2_2.jpg
    Amp-sketch-2_2.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 130
I don't recommend wood for the inside of the box because of possible malfunction and the burning (literally) amplifier.

I have insisted on building everything myself to save some dollars, but I must admit that with the knowledge I have today I would skip the DIY on amps and concentrate on speakers instead.

Look here what you can get for very little money (even with local taxes etc.)

Buy GENIUS200V3, CLASS D 300W, AMPLIFIER, 250W TAS5613 HIGH POWER HI-FI CLASS D AMPLIFIER INTEGRATED WITH WIDE RANGE AC SMPS at Aliexpress.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.