how is digam powersoft. what is it secret ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2012, 05:18 PM   #1
gatabil is offline gatabil  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Cool how is digam powersoft. what is it secret ?

hi everybody ,
I interesting digam series, because powerfull but how is very lite, slim
maybe do you know ? what is mosfets , what is topology ucd bridge or half bridge ............
please write; what about know.....................
Old 12th April 2012, 03:26 AM   #2
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Italian marketing + class D marketing. Consider that the power ratings of half the pro-audio class D products on the market are deliberately inflated. Some brands are pushing the market in that direction.

It's very difficult to compete with them without joining the inflate-your-numbers trend, but I can say some are trying
Old 12th April 2012, 05:49 AM   #3
gatabil is offline gatabil  Turkey
diyAudio Member

hi Eva,

an interesting approach. I guess you're right. but If learn everything is simple.
of course did not come from space digam. but We the people always investigate unknown.

an example. I'm guessing the output layer is full bridge. But talking about 9000kw power how is mosfets Qc value of how low . What is the energy efficiency

Last edited by gatabil; 12th April 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva View Post
Italian marketing + class D marketing. Consider that the power ratings of half the pro-audio class D products on the market are deliberately inflated. Some brands are pushing the market in that direction.

It's very difficult to compete with them without joining the inflate-your-numbers trend, but I can say some are trying
I used to design radio broadcast equipment for a living, and we hated the Italians.

They'd build utter garbage, and release spec sheets comparing their numbers to ours. Our FM exciter would do a 90dB SNR, they'd claim 100dB on theirs (despite no piece of test equipment in the world being able to measure that) and mark ours down as doing 80dB. We ordered one such unit through a third party, thinking we'd measure its real specs and release a "italians lie" white paper. Alas we couldn't, because the unit that we received was DOA.

I swear they're worse than the chinese. Sad to hear they're doing the same stuff with class D.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Powersoft use a switching power supply and a switching amplifier. What is not clear is if it has a tracking power supply. In a tracking supply the rail voltage raises and lowers to match the audio signal.

As to power ratings, it has become popular in pro gear to state peak power. Some give a time constant for this such as 30 mS. As the unit has at most a 20 amp input current even at 240 volts that would limit it to 2160 watts per channel at 90% efficiency. So the peak power is basically whatever the capacitors can store.
Old 12th April 2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
More or less the trend is to advertise the 1ms power that the engineers were expecting to obtain from the circuit, with everything cold and the theoretically maximum supply voltage and output current allowed by the parts used. It's more an indication of what could have been achieved in an ideal world than of what is actually achieved. Furthermore, some do it that way because advertising begins (in order to raise funds) before the product is ready for production, so the promised power figures can't be downgraded later without seriously hurting some egos. Damn capitalism, don't blame the engineers, bankers and politicians are the *real* experts in promoting corruption everywhere.

btw: All is SMPS and class D. Highest power single channel stuff is usually full bridge. Class AB, linear supplies and even tracking rails are now obsolete for high power audio amplification.

Last edited by Eva; 12th April 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12th April 2012, 10:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

non sequitor

Today I've read Italians, Chinese, and capitalists insulted in this thread. Sheesh.

Last edited by sofaspud; 12th April 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just chiming in because I live in the same town where Powersoft operates ,Florence . And also because the so-called premier went in these days in China asking for money but they said :'Niet !'
I have nutting to say in this thread 'Cos I don't use class D as I don't need power ...but I believe everything YOU say !!
Old 12th April 2012, 11:37 PM   #9
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
I used to design radio broadcast equipment for a living, and we hated the Italians.

They'd build utter garbage, and release spec sheets comparing their numbers to ours. Our FM exciter would do a 90dB SNR, they'd claim 100dB on theirs (despite no piece of test equipment in the world being able to measure that) and mark ours down as doing 80dB. We ordered one such unit through a third party, thinking we'd measure its real specs and release a "italians lie" white paper. Alas we couldn't, because the unit that we received was DOA.

I swear they're worse than the chinese. Sad to hear they're doing the same stuff with class D.
not just class D. I opened an italian car amp and took pics of what I saw. I was surprised to say the least.

back to topic, I would also say full bridge. If you use half bridge and dual supplies, the rail voltage would end up too high to be practical in very high power amps.
Old 13th April 2012, 05:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sorry for off topic but I just couldn't leave it.
Capitalism works flawlessly, if apparently clients don't need precize and reliable power data, then you may learn something from that and tune the product to clients' needs.
If you don't learn a lesson, you end up with sub-opimal product from clients' point of view.
There's no other way, like it or hate it, or would you like to force customers to pay for the 'feature' they don't want?

On the other hand, if someone feels cheated by some specifications and can prove it, they can sue the manufacturer and win a lot of monay, it is the lack of enough of capitalism that prevents people from doing that more frequently.
That would cause the fear to cheat, as many Austrian School gurus state it: people generally are greedy and that can be good if enough 'fear feedback' is applied. If you remove the fear, the greed is here.

Last edited by darkfenriz; 13th April 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!