diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   Sure Tk2050 4x100 really quiet (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/210362-sure-tk2050-4x100-really-quiet.html)

timreeves 8th April 2012 05:44 PM

Sure Tk2050 4x100 really quiet

So i've just hooked up my first sure 4x100 and it sounds lovely, just doesn't seem to be able to go loud enough though?

Is there any jumpers or pots on this board hiding under the heatsink that will change that?

Thanks

Tim

geopango 9th April 2012 04:32 AM

This amp has no input buffer, so you'll have to use an active preamp to get decent level.

Jack Caldwell 9th April 2012 04:37 AM

Yup...

A common issue with most T-amps. Most of 'em are x15 gain vs x20 for many audio amps.

So a buffer with gain, or, another option is a 1:2 line-level step-up/isolation transformer. The problem is that a pair of good ones costs twice as much as the amp.

nwboater 9th April 2012 12:32 PM

I'm a little confused on this. The Sure site states the input sensitivity as 0.771 V. That is the required input voltage to drive it to full output and most home audio equipment should put that out. Is the issue the input impedance of 22 K? If driven by a device with a high output impedance the amps input could be loading that down too much so that the input voltage actually drops.What are you driving the amp with?

If the above is correct then the gain of the amp is not the issue, but the somewhat high input impedance. If that is the case then a buffer with very high output impedance might be required.

Rod

timreeves 9th April 2012 08:17 PM

It's being run off an M-audio audiophile USB from my pc. With the PC turned up to full and the m-audio turned up to full running some bose 4 ohm pc style speakers I'm getting a fairly normal listening volume, definitely by no means loud.

I asked sure the same question and their response was that I needed a 400w power supply, amazes me how clueless they are there, I'm definitely getting NO WHERE near 100w a channel out of it, my old 20wpc @ 4 ohm went much much louder.

Can't find the output impedance of the m-audio anywhere :(

nwboater 9th April 2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwboater (Post 2978435)

If the above is correct then the gain of the amp is not the issue, but the somewhat high input impedance. If that is the case then a buffer with very high output impedance might be required.

Rod

I misspoke - Should have said "If the above is correct then the gain of the amp is not the issue, but the somewhat LOW input impedance. If that is the case then a buffer with very LOW output impedance might be required.

Rod

sofaspud 9th April 2012 11:35 PM

What is the power supply you're using, by the way?

timreeves 10th April 2012 07:17 PM

using a 350w 24v PSU, so should be plenty of juice on tap.

timreeves 11th April 2012 09:56 AM

Problem solved!
Whilst I was watching TV last night through the amp it suddenly got much much louder?!!
Operating temps are the same, nothing was changed it just suddenly burst into life :lol::confused:

Thanks for the help though guys.