Hypex UcD700 vs NCore

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! I am going to build an power amp, and have read a lot of nice things being said about the new Hypex NCore. Some claim NCore are quantum steps forward in sound quality compared with UcD, but others think the more powerfull UcD700 are the way to go for the moment - the DIY NCore are a bit weak they claim. Do you nice people at this forum have any opinion in this matter. To me sound quality is all, I don´t need to play loud in a large hall or something, just in my living room.

then drop UcD700 :)
you just don't need the power.
when sound quality counts, UcD400 is better then UcD700. never tryed Ncore.
But according to Hypex support, who I asked about the UcD700 vs UcD400, they claimed UcD700 have an edge over UcD400 when it comes to sound quality. I don´t know myself, I háve not heard any of them. But I got hooked on class D after I had heard an Lyngdorf SDA.

Last edited:
As I'm sure NC1200 (if such a DIY product is ever released) will be better than NC400. So what?

For most loudspeakers/rooms/listening habits, the benefits from going to the next generation (nCore) will be more important than the extra power UCD700 can provide.

Last edited:
It is a conclusion based on facts (difference in measured performance between the two amps, difference in power between the two amps, common power requirements of an average loudspeaker, from an average listening distance etc.).

Of course you are free to give more weight to a conclusion drawn form someone, somewhere, who thinks he heard something. There are not enough NC400s for everyone as it is.

Nobody I know have made a claim UcD is the better sounding. The question was if ncore has enough power. More exactly, the issue is about clipping in some situations.

And you've been told that in most listening environments you will never reach those "clipping situations".
Even in systems that will allow you to experience those "situations", you'll still be enjoying better sound with the NC400s than the UCD700s during the biggest part of your auditions where the amp is far from clipping.

Your question is indeed simple and thus can be answered without listening tests or assumptions.
In a playground you might find a different answer, if that's what you're looking for.

Last edited:
But according to Hypex support, who I asked about the UcD700 vs UcD400, they claimed UcD700 have an edge over UcD400 when it comes to sound quality. I don´t know myself, I háve not heard any of them. But I got hooked on class D after I had heard an Lyngdorf SDA.

I had the opportunity to listen both UcD400 and UcD700 at the same time, on same speakers, with best equippment.
Both the 400 and 700 where HG versions, and with HxR regulators.
The UcD700 beats the 400, no doubt. It's simply better, even though they are not a world apart.
Never listen to the Ncore so far, will do this year.

- cheers, Daniel

Reactions: 1 user
I had the opportunity to listen both UcD400 and UcD700 at the same time, on same speakers, with best equippment.
Both the 400 and 700 where HG versions, and with HxR regulators.
The UcD700 beats the 400, no doubt. It's simply better, even though they are not a world apart.
Never listen to the Ncore so far, will do this year.

- cheers, Daniel

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have compared NC400 with both UcD180HG and UcD400HG. NC400 beats both of them with a fairly large margin. The difference in bass quality came as the biggest surprise for me actually.

I've been using NC400 since december 2011... :)

Thank´s. I assumed NCore is a sound improvement, but I thoght it was just marginal. But your experince indicate it is not just marginal but a rather substantial improvment. Good to know. Hmm. Have you ever compared Hypex with NewClassD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.