how do you build direct digital amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2012, 03:46 AM   #1
sofus79 is offline sofus79  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default how do you build direct digital amp

how do i build a direct digital amp
Old 1st April 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
AlexQS is online now AlexQS  United States
diyAudio Member

Direct Digital Amp??

I would say, watch out for "marketing hype". This stuff listed below seems to be a word play to me. Things like "eliminates the need for a DAC",..... and "Completely digital signal from source to speaker". That's kinda bogus.

If you feed your speaker with a binary bit-stream of 0's and 1's it won't make a sound, or if it does it will be a horrible hissing or buzzing sound. Your speaker needs an analog sound wave to play music.

So they've re-named the DAC to DDX. -Whatever. I think it's a poor way to explain what they are trying to do to reap benefits by making the conversion of digital to analog take place at the most ideal location in the signal chain.

Below is some information I found regarding your topic: http://www.apogeemems.com/ddx/PDFs/AN-14.pdf
1.0 DDX Technology Overview
Direct Digital Amplification (DDX) is a patented, all-digital, high efficiency amplifier architecture developed to meet the needs of a wide range of audio applications, from PC multimedia to home audio systems to MP3 playback devices. Today’s entertainment systems, including those that claim to be digital, use analog amplifiers to boost analog signals produced by digital to analog converters (DACs). DDX technology eliminates the DAC by using a patented signal processing technique to digitally control a high efficiency power device. This approach directly connects to digital audio sources, eliminates analog signal corruption and increases amplifier efficiency by over a factor of three compared to analog designs. The technology enables manufacturers to produce truly digital audio products that provide pure digital sound reproduction from the source to the speaker.

In answer to your question, how to build one,.... I haven't got a clue, LOL
Old 1st April 2012, 08:53 PM   #3
gootee is online now gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm... Take digital bytes that represent the sampled voltages and write software for some processor that multiplies them by an amplification factor? Send the resulting byte stream to a D-to-A converter? Follow the DAC by a unity-gain high-power buffer amplifier that could put some high current with the DAC'd voltages, so they could drive low-impedance loads like speakers?
Old 1st April 2012, 09:09 PM   #4
AlexQS is online now AlexQS  United States
diyAudio Member

I think it's a neat idea to keep the signal in it's digital form, so it doesn't get dac'd until the last possible moment.

My cheapo receiver with some rather ordinary (nothing special) brown-burr dacs, sounds better to me when I connect it to cd player digitally, rather than using the analog rca from cd player.

I am currently thinking of how to combine a nice DAC with a B1-Buffer on the same chassis. I like this concept for pre-amp, so that immediately after signals are converted to analog, they can have the shortest path to the amp with fewest amount of other connections, thus hopefully minimizing analog signal loss.
Old 1st April 2012, 10:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

it was because i want too maybe build somthing like this
Core Audio Technology - Home
Old 1st April 2012, 11:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

TI have a selection of single chip class D amplifiers that accept a digital input. They also have multi-chip solutions that contain a digital input PWM driver that then drives specific output stages.

These typically contain advanced bi-quads too and are multi channel allowing one to create active loudspeakers fairly easily, providing the filtering required isn't tremendous.

I've used the TAS5706/B to do just this and think it sounds amazing for what amounts to one small chip doing all the hard work. You do need to be capable with micro's though to make all of this work.
Old 1st April 2012, 11:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you take a DSD stream thru a power amplifier capable of 3MHz bandwidth you have a direct digital power amplifier that needs just a 50kHz filter on output to drive some speakers.
Old 1st April 2012, 11:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

i am a totaly newbie but i have a freind ho will help me too
Old 1st April 2012, 11:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

so please look at the core audio link before replying answer thanks
and sorry if my spelling is bad lol
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:13 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

my speakers i am going too build is open baffle with audio nirvana 15 alnico with no crossover just connect speaker caples direct in the audio nirvana and i am making a sub too elemental designs lt1300 with ciare 18" sw so that part is ready now i am just waiting for my wood man hehe

Hide this!Advertise here!