Help needed, reward for solution! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2012, 10:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help needed, reward for solution!

Hello everyone. I recently made the mistake of my wiring my amp in reverse polarity Yes, I am idiot. The fuses on amp blew, replaced fuses and they blew again.. Amp is an MB quart onyx 1500

I am offering $20 PayPal for who ever can come up with the solution. I already pulled the cover off and nothing appears burned. I do have a multimeter. So where do I go I from here.. Like I said, $20 for whoever can determine what's wrong. Let's get this fixed!
Old 20th March 2012, 10:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You will have fried the chip and possibly some electrolytics too.
Old 20th March 2012, 10:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So basically no hope? I read something about a reverse polarity diode.. Where would that be?
Old 21st March 2012, 12:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I am reading the manual. There is no reverse polarity protection, only output protection. It uses a PWM power supply and you have probably fried it to say the least. I understand that you crossed + and - at the power input correct?

Your amp is mosfet based class D and offers no input protection, only output to speaker. I would remove the 12V power. Pull the fuses, wait 2-5 minutes to bleed down and use a multimeter to measure resistance of the amps + and - terminals after the fuses. It is probably a short circuit (your blowing fuses) and check both polarities red to + and black to -, and then switch them. There is no doubt there is probably a short present, you have 2x70A fuses. The fuses are there to prevent a fire, and maybe save the amp at those power levels.

Either way you are cracking the case and doing trouble shooting and surgery. start at the front end and look with the eyes and then with the meter.

Last edited by NissanSR20Man; 21st March 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 21st March 2012, 01:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply! Yes crossed at the + and negative on amplifier. I have removed the case and do not see any visible damage.. I put the positive lead of the multimeter to the postive and negative to negative and show no resistance. Not even getting any kind of reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanSR20Man View Post
I am reading the manual. There is no reverse polarity protection, only output protection. It uses a PWM power supply and you have probably fried it to say the least. I understand that you crossed + and - at the power input correct?

Your amp is mosfet based class D and offers no input protection, only output to speaker. I would remove the 12V power. Pull the fuses, wait 2-5 minutes to bleed down and use a multimeter to measure resistance of the amps + and - terminals after the fuses. It is probably a short circuit (your blowing fuses) and check both polarities red to + and black to -, and then switch them. There is no doubt there is probably a short present, you have 2x70A fuses. The fuses are there to prevent a fire, and maybe save the amp at those power levels.

Either way you are cracking the case and doing trouble shooting and surgery. start at the front end and look with the eyes and then with the meter.

Hide this!Advertise here!