Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2012, 02:28 PM   #1
jjne is offline jjne  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Errr... TK2050 module for $20?

I've been thinking of putting together a TK2050-based power amplifier, and had noticed that the modules on eBay from Sure, arjen etc are typically between $45 and $100 each.

However I just noticed these;

LT-50 TK2050 50W+50W BTL 100W Amplifier board LCM-1 | eBay

These appear to be the reference design and pretty similar to the modules TEAC use on their 3-channel amp.

At the price it'd be churlish to refuse and I've bought a couple with the intention of bi-amping them and using them as the front channels together with the single TEAC I've bought. If the sound is sufficiently different to the TEAC itself I'll rethink my evil plan but they'll always find a use elsewhere

Question is, has anyone used these? They do seem remarkably cheap, and given the simplicity of the basic circuit it would seem to me that it would be tough to get the implementation wrong, but are they any good?
Old 17th March 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Well Sure's board has two TP2050s, this has one.

Good candidate for a cheap amp that has more power than TA2024.
Old 17th March 2012, 06:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

A damn shame it's got the output chip on the wrong side of the board though. Should've been on the back.
Old 17th March 2012, 10:59 PM   #4
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

Also, don't forget the HiFiMediy T1-M for $25

T1-M TK2050 amplifier. Accepts from 9V to 24V DC supply voltage. Output power between 2 x 8W and 2 x 50W@4ohm | Hifimediy
Old 17th March 2012, 11:15 PM   #5
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

"Shipping:$5.00"

"Shipping price does not include 10usd shipping/handling added to every order."
Old 17th March 2012, 11:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If there are other modules available at similar price that's great (and it would be interesting to see how they compared with each other), but I'd rather this didn't degenerate into a p*ssing contest

Was just interested in people's views on the quality of this particular system -- although I think it's new on the market so I might end up being the guinea pig lol.
Old 19th March 2012, 12:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

There are also the LJM L15D modules for $30/ch

L15D Digital Audio amplifier board IRS2092 IRFI4019H | eBay

L15D Digital Audio amplifier board IRS2092 IRFI4019H --NEW | eBay
Old 4th April 2012, 02:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK, got this module today, in case anyone's interested here's a brief review.

First, no connector included for the input -- had to piece one together out of bits for testing. Not overly happy about that I have to say....

OK, so is this better than a 700 amp (in this case a Shearne Audio Phase 2 Reference Integrated)? Errr, no. However what shocked me is that it ran it fairly close......

Used a Chinese Musical Fidelity clone valve buffer as a pre-amp for the purposes of testing. The amp is impressively detailed -- vocals in particular are excellent, and this thing is far more listenable than the typical 150-200 budget amplifier (and cost less than 10% of their price). I did find though that the amp is a little lacking in low-end grunt -- like the TEAC, only a bit more so I think. How much this is due to the pre-amp I'm not sure at this stage. The presentation is quite forward -- treble is very clean, mid-range is good and punchy, soundstage is good but no match for the Shearne.

The noise floor is acceptably low connected to an HP 31.5V printer PSU -- some slight mains hum coming through. I'm digging the fact that the power brick could house 2 or 3 of these amps lol.

I haven't had chance to tweak it yet, and cannot compare with other class-T amps, but I'm impressed with this for the price.
Old 6th April 2012, 11:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback. How does it cope heat wise?
Old 6th April 2012, 01:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I didn't crank it up very loud, or for very long, but the heatsink seemed adequate -- it was warm to the touch rather than hot.

This was laid out on a bench rather than in an enclosure, so I won't know for sure how it is heat wise until I've had time to put it all together.

For reference, the kit I was using the amp with was fairly old but still good quality; Cyrus dAD3 CD used as a transport to a TEAC D-T1 DAC, MF-clone valve pre-amp as mentioned before, Rogers LS55 speakers (floorstanding, twin-driver version of the LS5 monitor).

I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest -- I've heard good things about the T-amps, and the TEAC L700P is an amazingly good amp for the money, but I didn't think something for 12 could possibly do a proper hifi system justice. I was therefore quite surprised at the result.

Hide this!Advertise here!