Adding a PGA2311 a shoe-in? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Adding a PGA2311 a shoe-in?

I'm still pretty new to building amps and such. I recently got the 28v power supply and T2 amp from hifimediy. On my new living room speakers, the sound is simply "dreamy". It doesn't come without a few downsides, though...
1. I have no remote volume
2. I have no remote on/off
3. I have only a single input

It hasn't been a problem, up until I decided I wanted to add a turntable to the mix. I need another input... so I have been researching a bit. It seems the PGA2311 is the way to go, for the price. Seems small enough to add into my enclosure, within my budget, etc.

In the end, I will need 3 inputs for TV, DVD (for CD's), and Turntable. Everything runs through the TV currently, but I'd like to play music (CD or Vinyl) without the TV on, though.

I realize I need to get a transformer that does 9v+9v. I'm a little fuzzy on any other details for remote power management. How does this turn on/off the amp and/or it's power supply? Also, I'm uncertain on how the DAC input works. Is it any different than any of the other RCA inputs?

I have seen other installations with this module, but wanted some direct, clear answers so I can "measure twice, cut once", so to speak.

Thanx guys!
Old 15th March 2012, 09:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The PGA is a level control chip.
Don't you want a source selector switch first?

jan didden
Old 15th March 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default I built one

I built a T2 amp with a PGA2311 based preamp and internal AK4396 DAC. The preamp controls the softstart.

See post New TK2050 board

Maarten

Hide this!Advertise here!