Building a regulated power supply for Lepai T-amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2012, 06:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Building a regulated power supply for Lepai T-amp

I have a little Lepai "20" watt amp, and have been considering building a filtered, linear voltage-regulated power supply for it.

What would be the sonic benefits of this?

I understand that the real advantage will be much longer lifespan of a linear PSU vs the SMPS that comes with it. Also, it eliminates the issue of catastrophic failure of the SMPS damaging the amp.

But... will it really sound better? I have done plenty of research on "how" to build the PSU, and think I've got that part down, but I am just trying to decide if it will really improve the sound any.

The little lepai amp has very low distortion at the volume levels I use, but I will say the noise floor is a little higher than I expected. Perhaps a cleaner PSU will fix that.

Edit: sorry moderators, I should have probably put this under power supplies instead of class-d
Old 16th March 2012, 12:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, everything I've read thus far says a good power supply can make a tripath amp really sing. Something tells me I can do better than the Vonage SMPS parts express sent with my amp.

Off topic but I will say this... I certainly like my cheap lepai amp's sound a lot better than my dad's Kenwood or my brother's Onkyo receiver.

Any opinions on toroidal vs "normal" transformers for a linear psu? I've heard both ways.

Hide this!Advertise here!