T amp what should I choose ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

First, I know very little about electronics, but I really love nice and natrual sound.

I have a Audiolab M-DAC used as preamp and dac which is currently used as a headphone amp with Denon D5000. Also, I have a pair of B&W N805 speakers, which collects dusts in the garage. While I was in Japan, I owned a Topping TP-41 connected to easy to drive small 6ohm bookshelfs speakers at my desk. The sound was very good for the price of jpy 10 000. I won't bring the TP-41 to Sweden where I am living now becase its a 110V unit and I need more than 14 WPC@8 than what the TA2021 IC may deliver.

I NEED A POWER AMP! WHICH ONE for my private medium to small size room where I work and enjoy music?

On my list:
Pop Pulse Pro T-150 TA2022 35 WPC @8 = EUR 204 inkl shipping
Pop Pulse Pro T-150 x 2 TA2022 70 WPC @8 = EUR 388 inkl shipping
Topping TP-160 TA2022 50 WPC @8 = EUR 220 inkl shipping
Topping TP-22 TK2050 25 WPC @8 = JPY 10000 plus AC/DC block

I am quite concerned about the TA2022 IC as it is said to easily pick up noise, which requires a carefully built amp with miniumn sideffects. In this regard, which amp is better at handling introduction of noise. TK2050 appears as a better IC than TA2022, but isnt as powerful. Is that true?

LadySnow,

I would look at Class D Audio. I recently purchased model SDS-470C and I love the natural "tube" sound it produces. They are located at classdaudio.com and they ship all over the world. I would definitely go with the SDS models. I have been to their shop and they do some amazing amp design.

LadySnow,

I would look at Class D Audio. I recently purchased model SDS-470C and I love the natural "tube" sound it produces. They are located at classdaudio.com and they ship all over the world. I would definitely go with the SDS models. I have been to their shop and they do some amazing amp design.

Thank you for the information. 300WPC@8ohm -- OMG!
I was considering a pair of PopPulse T150 PRO as monoblocks with 80WPC@8ohm. I can order those from France, but I am too concerned about the company PopPulse, a very small audio company somewhere in China with almost no support. Classsdaudio seems more supportive, reliable and established. The 470C seems to fit me perfect, but I cant find much information and reviews about it.

OMG #2 THERE IS NO POWER SWITCH - not even on the back !!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. 300WPC@8ohm -- OMG!
I was considering a pair of PopPulse T150 PRO as monoblocks with 80WPC@8ohm. I can order those from France, but I am too concerned about the company PopPulse, a very small audio company somewhere in China with almost no support. Classsdaudio seems more supportive, reliable and established. The 470C seems to fit me perfect, but I cant find much information and reviews about it.

OMG #2 THERE IS NO POWER SWITCH - not even on the back !!!!

I found the power switch -- on its side.

T Amp 2020 ....

I had posted the below some place here, elsewhere in another thread. Re-posting here again for benefit's sake ...

'IMO, it is primarily synergy with the speakers which decide the SQ when playing around with Tripath amps. I have been a very happy user of a Topping Tp 20 for the last 2 years, and the efforts which I had taken to audition the amp (pretty easy, due to dimensions & weight) has paid handsome dividends.

First thing first .... the speaker selected necessarily has to be of 8 ohms impedance and near-abouts 90 dB sensitivity. I kind of, did audition 20 pairs of speakers over a period of 1 month before selecting the miniscule, virtually unknown JBL Control Ones.

Yes, placement of the JBLs was another thing to be taken care of. Initially, tried it wall-mounted ... fair result. Then, bookshelf mode at almost ear-level ... better. The moment I set up the speakers on top of a tall cabinet, say, 8.5' again on the bookshelf mode, but slightly pointing downwards by placing small rubber pads on the rear of each .... it was BLISS. Superb midrange, fantastic highs and reasonable bass! It now plays the entire plethora of music in my stables ... Western/Indian classical (Vocals/Instrumentals), Rock, Pop ... you name it! Also goes up to sufficient volume levels (thats relative ... here, just to the level beyond which my neighbours could bang on my door to reduce) in a 270 sq ft living area ... without any distortions.

This Topping-JBL combination comes pretty close to my main rig, comprising of a Krell kav400xi and FS Linear Transmission Line 2-way speakers. Gets beaten only on the volume levels'.

MkrTrout
You have replaced two PopPulse T150 Pro with that SDS-470C amp! There must be a huge reason why you did that especially since one SDS-470C amp is 40% more expensive than two T150s. I watched your youtube with your full range driver speaker driven by a SDS-470C. You mentioned earlier that D amps are best suited for such speakers as opposed to 3 ways. Will the SDS sound fantastic with my 3-way speakers that have large base drivers? I try to google for the amp but not much is said about it on the net. Thus, currently I only have your words that its a great amp.

Regards from a girl who does not understand much about audio gears, but who is keen in quality reproduction of sound at affordable prices. :)

I am very impressed about tiny D amp companies such as PopPulse and Class D Audio that they succede in selling worldwide with almost no information and reviews about their products.

The first T/D amp I got was a TP31 with a TA2021 and it performed really well with my full range drivers at the sides of my PC screen. Topping is a well established D amp brand in Japan sold by sirobako and there are lots of reviews and some palces where you may listen to it in Akihabara, Tokyo. SDS appears to be the amp for all my needs today and tomorrow and may even drive my power hungry B&W 803Ds. Those were driven by a Denon A class 10 channel extremely heavy power amp bridged up to 300WPC. I cant bring the amp to Finland becase of different voltage. In Finland I am using a pair of old Sony 3 ways driven by an old Sony A class amp. First, I want to replace the Sony amp with a D class amp and then I may ship those B&W babes to Sweden requiring something like a SDS. A pair of T150 may be a bit on the weak side for 803Ds. ...

One thought I have about why the TP60 sounds so good is that it appears to me to be a single ended design instead of BTL, as most Class D amps I've seen are. I looked up the TA2022 Tripath PDF and the example circuit shows a single ended design. Also, the picture of the insides of the TP60 shows only two toroids instead of four.
The Indeed TA2021 is BTL.
I haven't heard a SE design myself, but others on DIYAudio have reported that it sounds smoother than the BTL design.

James

HiFimeDiy has T2 TK2050 w/ 2x TP2050 Single end outputs. I can say it's suberb when paired with a Connex SMPS300R 28V. Don't go further than 28V or you will need bigger heatsink or noisy fans.

People say TK2050 is worse than TA2020 when comparing different kind of products, Dayton implementation sux, for me it's worse than Lepai.

No one said TP-22 it's worse than TP-20.

TA2022 seems to has some prematurely dead problems and was quickly abandoned by Tripath wich change it for TA2021B with less power and TK2050 with separate musical controller + output modulator.

PSU it's very important, potentiometer and short input signal too.

Keep it as short as possible, use a stepped attenuator with 50k max.

I bought the TP 22. Still in the burn in process - I see everybody saying it will improve (someone said it goes from "so so" to "WOW"). Well, it must to improve a lot to pair with my B&W 602(S2).After 50 hours, the highs still ear piercing and it sound thin and "distant". Maybe it´s just a bad combination, since the 602 it´s know for the harsh highs (Rotel amps can smooth it ime).

Last edited:
Topping TP 22

I bought the TP 22. Still in the burn in process - I see everybody saying it will improve (someone said it goes from "so so" to "WOW"). Well, it must to improve a lot to pair with my B&W 602(S2).After 50 hours, the highs still ear piercing and it sound thin and "distant". Maybe it´s just a bad combination, since the 602 it´s know for the harsh highs (Rotel amps can smooth it ime).

Just an update ... After 4 days , and more 40 or 50 hours of burning in, I have to agree with mr "so so / wow" .The tiny sound had gone, what I have now is the sabe "vibe" of my Rotel (970) but a much cleaner and detailed sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.