Whats the best Class D / T Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

So im gonna start a new power amplifier project! I have B&W DM683 speakers that are quite demanding, specially since they go down to 2,6 ohms on certain frequencys.

What im after is the "best" sounding class D or Class T amp diy kit! thats affordable. The reason i am asking you guys is beause there are many many kits out there and many opinions. I know that the word "best" is very individual, but please come with your expirience or knowledge!

I have been checking out a few amplifiers like:
L25D By LJM
SDS-258 Amplifier By ClassDaudio.com
IRS2092 Stereo Amplifier By Connexelectronic
TA3020 Audio Amplifier v3d By Connnexelectronic

These are just a few i have been looking at. If you know any other great sounding amps please do TEll! :)

I sendt an email to connexelectronic asking him what his best sounding ampmodul he sold was. and he said that his "Class A/B 500W LME49810" was the one he thought sounded the "best". Anyone heard this amp?

So anybody have an opininon?

Greetings and thanks in advanced
Jørgen Solvik
Norway

I know hypex has an awsome reputation! And their new Ncores is maby some of the best class D. But it also costs alot of money!!

I am angeling my question to the middle price range. THere are many chinese kits, but theres little information on how they sound.

@Joschl i have heard Icepower (Norwegian brand "Midgard Audio" with B&O 1000asp modul), i know its good, maby a little "flat" for my taste. But i wanted to try something new.

I tried Rotels Icepower amplifier with 2x250 watts in 8ohm. And it started clipping the when i turned the volume up. So dont have the best impression of B&O ice power.

Hi,
The best I've heard is the NuForce (this is my humble opinion) but if you want to experience the sound of a well made ​​amp with expensive equipment, then ask a couple of demo samples (free money for 30 days) at AudioPower. SDA-400 high-res module. I know also, is quiet at 2R (28A max output)

Regards
Roberto

Hi,
agree with you. add that there's the subjective part, (or back ground of the listener). I think that an amp. independent of the speaker type, must have some performances at the base. as:
good sn / r
low hysteresis
high resolution in high band
low feedback level and not high DF.
I am sure this may be debatable, but this is my philosophy and I use when I design an amp.

Regards

I sendt an email to connexelectronic asking him what his best sounding ampmodul he sold was. and he said that his "Class A/B 500W LME49810" was the one he thought sounded the "best".
On connexelectronic´s website they state: The 500W LME49810amplifier is capable of delivering in excess of 550 watts per channel single ended on an 4ohms load

What does "single ended" mean in a class AB amp??

Hi All

So im gonna start a new power amplifier project! I have B&W DM683 speakers that are quite demanding, specially since they go down to 2,6 ohms on certain frequencys.

What im after is the "best" sounding class D or Class T amp diy kit! thats affordable. Norway

I have the same problematic & bought a Hifimediy DDX 320 v2 (designed for a medium 6 homs load) as a second amp (my main is a Chord smp 1000 B:cool:) . Forget it because of your 2,6 homs, but interesting for the price about 140 euros with power supply. It has a remote control, you can play with 14 curves which make easy the synergie in your room and you save bucks and headeache with the dac question because it is a s/pdif input. Maybe i would try it in regard to the affordable view of your question.

But in the same time, in regards to that which interest everybody of us (sound quality first DIY after ?????:rolleyes: , can't know where i situate money here... between the two????:eek:) , maybe you can try one more powerfull (4 homs) little module of hifymediy if the money is the first issue to test class D. You can think too about 3 active stages for your speaker in the the view of improve the sound if you can go easily with active filter (but money!!!:confused:) and in between I will go myself to the LME module;) because with 3 different speakers and many sources i found the sound of the DDX good but without life which is non acceptable (you can dream of Grace Kelly but you better live with Monica Bellucci to illustrate)...

The more difficult for me is to think audio project in a money-time perspective... that's why i answer regarding your speaker first, the money question in second and class D quality question far after... You understand well it's non sense to buy Ncore for BW 610 speaker but in a perspective to change the speakers after... which I think about seriously in relation to my tastes.

And because the room and WAF is the more difficult to change after 25 years of audio I ask myself of a total project : source (flac reccording, in this moment with synology and squeezebox duet) , active filter, amp (i consider Ncore but...) and DIY OB plan with B&G panels. It is very hard even in DIY audio to think global... i ask recently a too simple question about i/v stage's DAC : discrete/opamp/lamp in a versus perpective for best quality sound... no responses : schools before sound:p.

But sory for my too long answer and bad english, I hope it helps in regard to my experience.

Hi,
The best I've heard is the NuForce (this is my humble opinion) but if you want to experience the sound of a well made ​​amp with expensive equipment, then ask a couple of demo samples (free money for 30 days) at AudioPower. SDA-400 high-res module. I know also, is quiet at 2R (28A max output)

Regards
Roberto

Hi,

which chip do they use in the SDA-400 ?
I heard about break issue with the NuForce integrated amp... I 'm myself very curious about make a AB/BA test (dancing qween) between NCore and Nuforce. But Ncore if you read DIYaudio seems to be a good bargain for High End... even famous brand want to include it in theirs commercial products. All seems to go with redesign of input stage (to make the sound different:confused: cause Bruno P. seems to be a clever guy who design neutral in relation to the music! ....which speakers does he use will be interesting to know) and linear power supply (to make heavy à la ancienne façon ??? = easier to sell for many bucks if the box is in massive aluminium and the total weight > 20 kg = XX° century like, I mean: in consumer perspective).

Last edited:
Hi,
@ ELDAM: For NuForce I know some problems in case of direct connection to the tweeter.
In full-range I heard them several times with various speakers, it's a great amp, the resolution is high and the bass very well controlled.
For SDA-400 what can I say .. are fine when connected to a Horn (tweeter), the noise is inaudible at 30Cm. are very generous in output current since the power stage (including the toroid filter) are well designed for 500w at 4R. the chip is a driver IR2110,Mosfet are "38NB20" used up to 700w, the rest is proprietary technology as the modulator.
Just a note: in a few days there will be an special offer (subject to availability, inventories)
consists of a new DPS-400 and a pair of sda-400 + accessories capacitors bank etc. I think that may be an opportunity for multi way..perhaps for those who already know about this product. :)

Regards

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.