Power supply question for Sure 2050 board... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Power supply question for Sure 2050 board...

Hello

Just wondering if a 30v 4.3A power supply would be ok running the 4x100 Sure 2050 board or would I be better off buying one of the Meanwell supplies that are offered??

The power supply I have was the upgraded one supplied by Virtue Audio when I bought their TWO.2 amp so it's a decent supply!!

Thanks kindly!!
Old 26th February 2012, 02:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well. Since it's 30V 4.3A we know that the power draw from the amp can be maximum 129W. With an efficiency of 87% (depends of impedance but will average at around that) it means the total combined output can be 112Wrms or 4x28Wrms. Now what we don't know is the peak capacity of the that power supply but assuming it's a relatively cheap one we assume it's 0% (in that the actual output capacity is overrated for the start).

So all in all. Yes it will be ok but only if all your speakers are minimum 16 ohms and never dips below that. If you want to drive 8 ohms speakers, a 10A psu is needed, and for 4 ohms speakers you need a 20A psu.
Old 26th February 2012, 02:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Interesting...thanks!!

I guess that is why they paired it with only a 2 channel 2050 setup LOL!!! I'm assuming it would be sufficient for that??

Speaking of which...after alot of reading I still cannot really find a definitive answer...how are the new 2x100 and 4x100 boards from Sure...the ones with the fans??

Thanks again!!
Old 28th February 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Interesting...thanks!!

I guess that is why they paired it with only a 2 channel 2050 setup LOL!!! I'm assuming it would be sufficient for that??

Speaking of which...after alot of reading I still cannot really find a definitive answer...how are the new 2x100 and 4x100 boards from Sure...the ones with the fans??

Thanks again!!
On these new boards all components but the tank caps are smd... I have not heard to these new boards but my guess is that they managed to get rid of the noise problems but also the sound quality capability since there is NO space for any good mod.
I am using two sure 4x100W ( old pcb ) with two meanwell set to 30v for a total of 4 channels. After a big amount of mods I can say I am VERY HAPPY with the result. Great overall sq, detail and by running one tp2050 per channel I anchieved great channel separation . I like the sound and noise levels of the stock 4x100 better than the 2x100 board. [url=http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=tk2050&search_type=main&WebP age_ID=3&searchFilter=tk2050&x=0&y=0]PE[/ur] still stock the old pcbs. Hifimediy and 41Hz both have tk2050 based amps that are likely trouble and mods free.

Hide this!Advertise here!