OOPS- dropped amp 1 inche, now annoying noise every second

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I think I screwed up my amp. any input on this from you guys is really appreciated. :worship:

Amp in question is a plate amp from the Polk PSW-111 subwoofer. I accidentally dropped it off it's temp mount :headbash:, it fell about 1 inch, and immediately started making this weird noise through the sub which cycles every second. Other than the noise which is very noticeable when nothing is playing through the system everything works fine. I'm going to try and attach pictures and .m4a audio file of the noise itself. I've check for any loose solder connection with my bare eyes and couldn't find anything. Anyone experienced with plate amps know what I should look for next ? I'm into DIY so I don't want to send it right off to the repair shop.

Update: Forum doesn't support posting .m4a files. What should i convert it to ? It was recorded using the Iphone Voice Memo app.

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1167.jpg
    IMG_1167.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Here's the .m4a voice memo recording of the noise it makes. A little bit of information about the noise. It scales with volume. Crossover knob has no affect. Phase switch has no effect. Standby/auto/on does have an affect. Auto and on sound like they do on the .m4a. Standby sound similar but lower in volume and less detail.

If i unplug the circuit board that contains the Volume/x-over/phase/powermodes/rca-ins/speaker-in/outs. The noise is almost completely gone, but for a faint "blimp" that's just barely audible.

Attachments

• 20120218 181546.zip
    110 KB · Views: 34
Inspect for broken traces or cracked solder joints. I would look at the heavy areas first. That sucks man. Check the basic parts first inspecting for visual damage.

Was the amp powered up and wokring when it fell?

yes it was on and playing content at medium volume. I just checked out the back of the main circuit board. No obvious cracks or broken joints. Fuse is good also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.