What would be a good amp for a first timer. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2012, 08:00 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

From what I can tell the LJM amps are hard to beat bang/buck, and there's a thread where they showed superb measurements.

The only thing I would wonder about is parts quality/reliability given the dirt cheap prices.

connexelectronics also makes some IRS2092 amps that are about double the price which I would trust more, though have no facts to support that.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:09 PM   #12
Thedaus is offline Thedaus  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question but can you put a pot on the input of a power amp (Like the Hypex UcD) to control volume?
Old 24th February 2012, 12:24 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hmm. Interesting questions. You need an inexpensive control preamp and a power amp board. I can recommend the Sure TK2050 2 channel board and the matching Meanwell power supply via Parts Express. This is about $100 total. Given your apparent mechanical skill, you should be able to mount the board OK in a ($8) plastic box from Radio Shack. The preamp is a bit more difficult. The Gemini PA7000 or the similar Pyramid preamp are available from Amazon. These cost around $100, the Gemini a little more, the Pyramid a little less. I myself have the Gemini, and it is very good. Now, if you want to try something more DIY, there is a preamp kit from Kits 'r Us sold as the K100 from Carl's Kits and various other suppliers. This is easy to build (get a cheap 30W soldering iron and good thin rosin core solder for this) and can also be planted in a Radio Shack black box. This kit costs around $25 and works very well. If you need an input selector switch, these are available from various suppliers (you can use an A-V switch for this, just ignore the video connectors).

This will get you very good to excellent results, with equipment that runs typically at room temperature even when working hard. Best of luck with your project.
Old 24th February 2012, 01:38 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Why does he need a preamp?

Plenty of power amps are sold with input level controls.
Old 24th February 2012, 02:04 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Strictly speaking, a preamp is not needed, but is very useful under real world listening conditions. Many folks now keep their music collections as MP3 (or other format) files on a computer, and can control not just volume but tone on the computer. However, the sound chipsets on computers are very variable in terms of output level. Also, many people now run >1 computer, so source selection becomes an issue. MP3 portable players also have wide variation in output level. I find that the $100 or so for a preamp pays for itself in convenience and avoided aggravation very quickly. However, if money is tight, a $5 50Kohm stereo potentiometer mounted in a $2 plastic box, spliced into a used stereo patch cable works just fine.

And yes, plenty of power amps have level conntrols, but they all (with the exception of a few competing Chinese products, not readily available here) cost a lot more than a Sure board.

Hide this!Advertise here!