Commercial 'electrolyte-free' Class-D Power Amp models - Overview wanted - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2012, 09:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Commercial 'electrolyte-free' Class-D Power Amp models - Overview wanted

There are already inverter devices for solar kits available, where is follow to read:
" 'electrolyte-free' power converter to further increase the life expectancy and long term reliability"

for an example go to
Power-One PVI-10.0-I-OUTD-US-208 / PVI-10.0-I-OUTD-US-480

I am looking for commercial amp products, where the same was to read. Who can call me appropriate brands/manufacturers and models ?
Old 31st January 2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

The major issue is the bulk energy storage which in common cases is done by using classic electrolytic caps. While in industry it is very common to see power film caps, ceramic caps and recently solid electrolytic caps (at the moment only available up to 20-40V with some exceptions, up to 100V) all of these with a lifetime at least one order of magnitude higher than the classic elcos, in audio they are adopted slowly, in my opinion because of their cost, for commercial products, where every cent counts, just consider that to get 220uF out of film caps you need a lot of smaller caps paralleled or a huge one, the size of a beer can which might cost as much as the whole the amp.
I'm working at a multichannel amp design which will use modular concept, the power modules does not use any electrolytic cap, to allow long-time operation even at high temperature, the module is fitted on the heatsink directly, and if electrolytics are used, their life expectancy would be significantly lower.
On another design, which is in concept phase now, i'm gonna use just film caps for all the caps, including primary side bulk storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500W Power Module.JPG (58.7 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by Cristi; 31st January 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: polishing wooden spelling

Hide this!Advertise here!