PowerPhysics amp question (or any ClassD kit amp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive been in search for a small/low cost Class D amp for a while now. I've check Hypex, PowerPhysics, 41hz, coldamp, etc. Alot of them have great products, but the cost is insane ($200+ per channel w/o Power supply). I've recently called PowerPhysics, but the man on the phone said they mostly sell to OEM and was unsure if they could do small orders. He couldnt even give me a price for that matter.

Anyone have good suggestions on low cost, small size kit amps with rating between 150W-250W @ 8ohms? I need 4 channel (stereo bi-amp) and not trying to spend an arm and a leg. I still need to factor in all the other goodies like PSU, pot, etc. for it as well and trying to come in around $400 maybe $500 for the total. And some of these amps have been around $100/ch. :censored: .

Thoughts? Suggestions?

P.s. - the reason for using kits is to meet the form factor that is ideal for my setup. These uber bulky cheap amps on ebay would function nicely, but not fit where I need to put them.

the problem you have is your power requirements. Most off the shelf class d kits don't reach tthis as they are single chip output stage. Your best bet is probably an international rectifier amp which have discrete output transistors. Don't know of kits but their reference design material is pretty complete. Otherwise fall back to class. B

Mat

I'm interested in something similar to use with the Minidsp as an active xover. I only need 30wpc or so. See: 300W IRS2092 IRFI4019H IRAUDAMP7S Amplifier kit L15D | eBay . The L15D seems to be very well designed and use good components They have extreme low distortion in the 5w-100w range, about .003% at 30w.Still around .01% to over 200w. I believe he has a selection of toroids to supply desired B+.

Well after long searching, SureElectonics does have a pretty nice amp that would work (how-ever they use very low end components). They are still a bit bulky for my taste. Im currently researching the possibility of designing my own amp(s) based on the surelectronics design. The chip amps that they use have ok THD to about 50% of their rated power (after that it sky rockets!). So I'm toying with the idea of building a single board [(L600w)+(L300w+R300w)+(R600w)] amp. It's complete over kill, and I would never use anywhere near all that power, but even in worse case scenarios, I'm hoping to maintain below that 50% power mark. The PSU wont need to source all that power either, so a 500w PS would be just fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.