How to reroute amp knob & dials? (Beginner project)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please note that I'm a beginner without much technical knowledge!

I am working to quickly and cheaply modernize an old radio cabinet (pictures below). I'm currently running into a few roadblocks and it looks like this board can help me.

I've purchased a TA2020+ amp and I plan to hook it up to an apple airport extreme via 3.5 plug and stream music from my PC, iPhone, iPad etc. I also plan to have two speakers mounted in the lower left hand cabinet (see picture).

My main question: How can I reroute the knobs on the amp to the holes on the front of the unit (pictured)? I don't even know where to buy new knobs/dials or an on/off switch, much less how to extend them from the mounted amp to the face of the unit (pictured). As stated, I'm an amateur so details are helpful.

Secondary Question: What speaker(s) should I use to get a nice range of sound? I don't have much room if I use two speakers, only what will fit in a 12''x12'' space. You can see the space in the picture below and the frame from the 10'' speaker that was original to the unit. Anyone have some recommendations, size, type, brand etc? I have pretty limited funds for the project, max ~$30/speaker if two speaker, and ~$50 if one speaker?

Attachments

• Cabinet 1.jpg
    Cabinet 1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Cabinet 2.jpg
    Cabinet 2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Cabinet 3.jpg
    Cabinet 3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 137
Taking the help of the bottom of this box, fix some L shaped bracket to the length of the holes and beyond. Drill the holes to match the existing holes to the size of your controls/pots. See that the control shafts r protruding out enough so that u can fix the knobs.

Gajanan Phadte

How can I reroute the knobs on the amp to the holes on the front of the unit (pictured)? I don't even know where to buy new knobs/dials or an on/off switch, much less how to extend them from the mounted amp to the face of the unit (pictured).
Can we move the knobs on the amp? I am looking at this amp Lepai Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amp w/Power Supply 310-300 and I would like to be able to move the knobs to the front of the boombox I am building
This isn't too difficult.
The parts used for volume/bass/treble controls are called potentiometers, and normally look something like in the pics below. When assembling the amp, the pot is mounted inside, with the shaft sticking out through the face-plate. The hexagonal nut is then slid up over the shaft and screwed on, holding the pot to the face-plate. Finally the knob is pushed onto the end of the shaft. Normally it's just a tight push-fit, but sometimes there's a little screw through the side of the pot to hold it in place.

So to get the pot loose, you just have to pull off the knob and undo the nut. That sounds easier than it actually is. The knob is normally pushed on bloody tight, and if you try to lever it off with a screwdriver, you might end up scratching or denting the face-plate. (or maybe it's just me that's a klutz.)

Then there's the electrical connections. I don't know if the pots in your amp are soldered directly to the PCB or connected to it with wires, but either way when you move the pots you'll have to reconnect them with shielded cable.

If you don't know how to solder, learn first and practice on something disposable. It's not hard to learn, but does take a bit of practice to get reasonably good.

In the meantime you could start by opening the thing up and seeing how everything is connected. You'll need to figure out how to remove the switches too. Hopefully that's not rocket science.

If you need to buy stuff, you can either use online stores like Mouser and Digikey, or go to a bricks-and-mortar store like Maplin or Radio Shack. (Bearing in mind I'm on the other side of the planet, so anybody else's suggestions are probably better than mine)

Attachments

• dual_potentiometer.jpg
    dual_potentiometer.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 77
  • P-A8X2_MED.jpg
    P-A8X2_MED.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 71
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.