Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2012, 08:24 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
Hi - I have a basic question about transformers. When a x-former has dual primary inputs (115v each), these are normally connected in parallel to maximize x-former current output on the multiple secondary taps. Is that a correct statement? Is it also fair to say that if only a single primary winding were used, you'd essentially get about half the current on the secondaries? I just want to make sure these primaries can be connected in parallel for standard operating configurations. ( It's been a long, long while since my basic electronics courses, and just want to make sure I don't melt my spanky new toroidal.)
Yes, I'm pretty sure that you're right. The reason that there are two is of course so that in a country where the mains voltage is 230V they can be run in series.
One of the first things I do if / when I get an amp (or a computer) which has a switch for either is fire up the hot-glue gun and make sure that it can't be switched easily. I'm in New Zealand where we have 230V and I'll never forget when a pupil at the local high-school switched all of the computers to 115V last thing before going home. Apparently there were lots of expensive bangs the next morning when the first computer class of the day started. (It was a while back, before PSUs had all of the safety stuff the newer ones have.)
Old 18th March 2012, 03:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to sketchyphish
Hello just an update, seems that this is indeed a standard toroid, upon separating the two blue wires she does indeed have two separate windings in and out.
I have started a thread about thermistors as atm i need to get a suitable soft start to cope with the toroid, rectifiers and caps.

Hide this!Advertise here!